Is there any good reason for keeping a rooster if you don't plan on hatching chicks?

fairfeatherfriend

Chirping
12 Years
Jun 23, 2009
Bothell, WA
Of the 5 new pullets we got last spring, one "became" a barred rock roo. The good thing is, he is not an obsessive crower; the bad thing is - we don't have any need or desire for fertilized eggs. I've heard some rumors that hens lay more with a roo... are "safer" with a roo... etc. It was truly a hassle trying to find a home for our last pullet-to-roo experience. But, if this one does not become more noisy or aggressive, and the neighbors don't complain, we might be OK keeping him. My question is, Is there any good reason to keep a roo if you aren't breeding?

I personally like have a cock in my flock because they do help protect the girls, especially if your flock free-ranges. If you watch the boys, they are constantly on alert, walk the perimeter of their "harem", and alert the girls quickly if anything alarms them.

When I was younger, I saw a roo give his life while standing his ground against a dog attack. All of the others survived, except the dog.

I watch mine get all prideful when they find insects or whatever for their ladies. They watch the skies much better than my hens/pullets do. Whichever roo gives the "alarm" call, the entire yard of chickens head for cover!

To me, the roosters are one of the most beautiful birds there is. And, their personalities range from the hilarious to warrior-like. My roosters are mostly just plain nice to have around. A mean rooster though, gets a special invitation to dinner at the first sign that he may injure one of the grand-kids!

I sell hatching eggs and chicks. Roosters come in real handy for those tasks! LOL

Totally up to you if you like a rooster about or not. The hens will be just as happy without one.

I personally keep my Japanese Bantams just for the Roosters, as they are very beautiful. I love the colours and behavior of them too.

If he's a good guy and behaves himself there is no reason not to keep him. However, if having a rooster is illegal in your area go ahead and get rid of him. Having said that, roosters are a beautiful addition to a flock, and are fun to watch as they go about their business.

I watch mine get all prideful when they find insects or whatever for their ladies.

My Mille Fleur d'Uccle is the man of the house for my bantam flock and he's such a gentleman: when I put their food down for them (they get fed twice a day because I soak a specific measure of homemade food overnight) he stands back and waits for the girls to finish before taking what is left for himself. =)

This is our second year with birds, the first year a miserable rooster experience (agression to me and my family), this year I bought hatching eggs, only 2 boys out of 8 (lucky), straight run buckeyes, straight run bantums and a batch of Pullets. Our Pullet purchases were each a little off as a Boy or two slipped through. Some friends took some barred rock roosters for dinner, and I found someone on Craig's list who wanted bantum roosters and we gave those away too.

We have only had to get rid of one this year for his misbehavior with the ladies -- terrorizing hens is not good! We do have a large flock, so each boy seems to have 5-7 hens that he goes out with to free range, but our experience has been great. From the nice crows, to the courtship 'Wing dance', to protecting his little harem while free ranging. -- and not one bit of nastiness! So, no, you don't need a rooster, but we have found it fun and helpful to have them (big loss this spring without roosters to a fox duo).

Thanks to everyone replying to this post! You have given me some good reasons to think about keeping a "Mister" for our flock. We'll see what happens in the ensuing months. Meanwhile, happy Thanksgiving to my fellow bird-lovers!

I recently added 2 roosters, one in each flock and LOVE them! I love to hear them "sing"! I was having some feather plucking issues with one of my flocks and that seems to have ceased, most of them have started growing back their feathers! Guess he showed the plucker who was boss now! Of course I keep an eye out for aggression but so far they are both sweethearts and coming running to me with the girls for treats! Good Luck with your rooster, hope he is as entertaining and delightful as mine!

I love having my rooster Elvis..... I am on ten acres and have a large coop with two runs ... I let the chickens and geese free range in the afternoons for a few hours and if is wonderful to watch him guide them , herd, them, and talk to them. I love when he makes his
little gurglie growl to let the nearby hens know he found food for them lol. And he is sweet.... He has a great disposition with people and has never been mean to anyone. My gander on the other hand has an attitude lol..... He watches the sky and alerts when there are hawks or owls so they take cover. But when it comes right down to it, it is totally up to you and your preference. A lot of people raise flocks very successfully without a Rooster. :D Enjoy your chickens! Bawk Bawk

Back
Top Bottom