Is there any hope? Lame/odd breathing....please help!

kaitlyn_rae2003

Songster
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
Laconia NH
1) What type of bird , age and weight.
Easter Egger, about 3-4 weeks old
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
A batch of my young chickens were attacked, wednesday night. We lost a few, and the survivors are injured but making improvements each day. Except this little lady, who just happens to be my all time favorite girl. She was not punctured, except for 1 toe, from what I can tell. She was in the best shape out of all of them, progressively getting quite worse. Not walking at all, will roll around if she has to, but NO walking at all. not bearing any weight, legs just go right to the side, and she will just lay there. She is also breathing funny. Not sure how to describe it, her mouth opens a closes constantly, no discharge from eyes, nose or mouth,
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Thurs/Fri I started to note the worsening effects.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no the ones who were more badly injured, are actually doing great.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. yes sorry see above
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. yogurt and chick crumbles mixed, vit/elec water, She is eating well today, but absolutely hates water, will not drink, acts like it makes her so much worse, just hangs her head after you syringe it in her mouth. But she willingly eats a ton. I am so confused.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. a little runny
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Vit/electrolytes in the water, just started antibiotics in water today, yogurt and chick crumbles mixed, baby aspirin for pain. 1 day
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? No avian vet nearby at all. I am it!
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use she is separated, on clean pine shavings, in a tote up here with me in the living room.

I would like to add, the attack never should have happened, it was my and my husbands fault, I could not feel any worse, and I appreciate any help you might have. It is strange because of all the survivors, she was in the best shape, but is now on deaths door it seems. I just dont know what to do, or call this problem. I love this chick so much, she is just perfect. Please help us

You are doing all you can for her. It sounds like she may have acquired some internal injuries during the attack. If that is the case, you will need to wait and see if she can survive them. There's not much else you can do. You could try some Poly-Vi-Sol to aid in healing.

I'm so sorry I don't have better advice. I hope she makes it.

Back
Top Bottom