Is there any hope???

I am also of the theory that roosters raised with only flock mates often become bullies and aggressive. Older chickens really can school a rooster.

Many inexperienced people vastly underestimate the violence of a rooster attack. It can be pretty violent. As both you and your daughter are adults, it is quite different than if you had a young child taking the attack in the face.

I think he will either get better, or worse no matter what you do. Some roosters are fantastic roosters, some are not. Some people have a larger tolerance for being attacked. Not what I have chickens for, and at his age, I am thinking you are giving him more credit for flock management that perhaps he deserves. Very few roosters are good with a flock until they are over a year old. The best roosters for flock management are raised in a multi-generational flock.

Personally, I would look around, ask at the feed store, at the county extension office, at the local poultry club. Extra roosters are easy to come by. What you want is a rooster that has been raised in a multi-generational flock, and that has been so nice, that he didn't make the cull list so far, and he is close to a year old. You might not get all your druthers, but you will get a better rooster than you have now.

Thing is, an aggressive rooster also keeps the hens upset. There is a tension in the flock caused by that aggression towards you. They see it as an attack by a predator, upsets them. You can try the trainings, but I think I would try him with a recipe.

Mrs K

If your hens have recently started laying, you are probably collecting the eggs.
Those eggs are the cockerels future sons and daughters. It is entirely reasonable that he should attempt to defend them. The eggs are after all his potential children.

It may help if he doesn't see you take the eggs.
You may have a better result by adjusting your behaviour rather than trying to adjust his.
Confined or free range there are basic behaviours common to all roosters.
This article may help you find a solution.
In the short term at least, you should not let your child have any contact with the chickens.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/

Thank you all. I don't consider him overly aggressive because he doesn't "seek me out" to attack. Given his space his full attention is on his ladies. If I am walking through the yard while they are free ranging he doesn't even give me a second glance (unless I have treats, he will come for treats and there is no aggressive behavior). It is solely when I enter the coop and run that he gets testy. I agree that without any older hens and roosters he doesn't have a role model. I don't agree it should be a death sentence without at least trying to do something to make it better first. If it doesn't work I will put him in a stew pot.

Be very careful with aggressive roosters as any injuries they inflict upon you can turn out to be nastily infected. I do agree with the others that it’s best to try to get him to understand that you’re boss - the sooner the better. I don’t usually have issues with roosters as I have more docile breeds, but this year I have a trio of Ameraucanas I’ve been raising. The cockerel I choose pecked my hand really hard last week once as I was holding one of his girls and I grabbed him right away and carried him around under my arm for a good while. Needless to say, he’s gone back to be skittish and respectful of me without any more problems. The longer you leave it, the worse it gets. Some roosters will end up being jerks regardless, but many you can work with. Holding them down on the ground would also work as that’s what the dominant rooster would do to put them in their place (if he doesn’t outright try to kill them).

It is solely when I enter the coop and run that he gets testy.
I'd start walking thru the run more often....calmly, cool, confident, and semi quickly.
Just a short walk thru talking softly.
If he comes near or at you, just 'walk thru' him instead of around him.
Sometimes drop treats, sometimes not.

My lav orp roo is aggressive to and he's in a pen he chases me from Inside the pen and he's only 8 months old but he's getting processed in the spring I only need him for his color

This morning was a good day. No attacks or even small threats. I was within 2 feet and all I got was watched. I didn't push the issue. Didn't back down but didn't try to get a reaction either.
20201214_101611.jpg
20201214_102105.jpg

Back
Top Bottom