Is there any infects a bird can get in north america that humans have to woory about getting

JonathanL23

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 20, 2014
so i thought id ask in the chicken section maybe some one will know, all my chickens and ducks are find but my tom turkey had a swollen face about 3 weeks ago it seemed to go back to normal size now for the most part. he also lost his voice for about 10 days after this happened , his voice is back now, but he has this brown stuff on his beak like his nose runs or something and he all was sounds like he has a dry throat or couch. since being sick the hen turkey and all other birds seem to be OK. but im worried if he has baby's with the female well they get infected. and will my chicken eggs be safe to eat. i think i read and it may be a sinus infection but im not sure. and if he had a deadly disease he would probably no long be alive after 3 weeks right?

so i thought id ask in the chicken section maybe some one will know, all my chickens and ducks are find but my tom turkey had a swollen face about 3 weeks ago it seemed to go back to normal size now for the most part. he also lost his voice for about 10 days after this happened , his voice is back now, but he has this brown stuff on his beak like his nose runs or something and he all was sounds like he has a dry throat or couch. since being sick the hen turkey and all other birds seem to be OK. but im worried if he has baby's with the female well they get infected. and will my chicken eggs be safe to eat. i think i read and it may be a sinus infection but im not sure. and if he had a deadly disease he would probably no long be alive after 3 weeks right?

Here is a list of zoonotic diseases of poultry and other livestock. http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/zoonoses/zoonoses/zoonotic_diseases.html I do not see how an infected Tom would affect the egg of a chicken unless the chicken also has the same infection. Even then, the vertical transmission of the disease into the egg, (if applicable) only affects hatchability or carrier status after hatch. Eggs are still safe to eat unless antibiotics are given to the hens laying the eggs. Observe warnings and withdrawal periods.

what do you think my tom has any ideas

it sounds to me like he has a respiratory issue. Some are transferable to chickens and other fowl. Chicks can be infected by other birds. Look up respiratory diseases in Turkey, chickens and what ever other fowl you have. Treat each species as indicated.

Back
Top Bottom