Is there any way to get solid poop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Isley, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Isley

Isley Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    I was wondering if there was any way to get chickens to have solid poo more often. The chickens tend to step in and flap around in liquid poo a lot... [​IMG]

2. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    [​IMG] I wish... I don't think it is possible... should be a little firm most of the time though.

3. rolffamily

rolffamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I have two out of eight chickens with runny poop. If I feed them plain yogurt (I make my own) their poop firms up and is good for about 2 days. I do slack off on keeping up with the yogurt though.

4. happyhappy

happyhappy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Napa, CA
    Quote:Thanks for another "mom" that is concerned and always has yogurt on hand! [​IMG]

5. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    ?? If they have a healthy and balanced diet it shouldn't consistently be liquid... I occasionally see a wet one, but it's hardly a pattern... Maybe not enough roughage or something? [​IMG]

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    It might be the particular brand of feed you're using. I feed Countryside Naturals, and all but the cecal poops are firm and odorless. Which reminds me, I need to reorder.

7. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Quote:Ditto! We had stinkers from Nutrena feed, but nice on Purina Layena. Others swear Purina is [​IMG] . But it works for us. I'll try to post a picture of poops from Purina Layena (and whatever they find in the yard). These poops are solid/poofy, not wet. I enjoy scooping them up with a doggy pooper scooper. Because Scooping Poop is TheraPOOtic.

8. 6chickens in St. Charles

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Also noticed wet, blackish poops after the birds found the blueberries and blackberries. What are your birds eating?

9. 6chickens in St. Charles

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    [​IMG]

This is a good chicken poop in the rain, its sort of dark out. Just now learned how to send a photo from my !#$!! iphone so you can see the Purina Layena type of poop. I love it. I wish you luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by