1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is there anything else I can do for my duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by The Duck Ladie, Apr 29, 2016.

1. The Duck Ladie

The Duck Ladie Duck Addict

One of my Ancona ducks isn't doing good. She turns her left foot back to walk and prefers not to walk. She sorta looks like she's limping it. After having it looked up, I think it's because of niacin defiency. We always just used chick starter which now I learned needs to have niacin added to it for ducks. But I didn't know that or did that. We're going to get some niacin, but is there anything I can do? None of the other ducks have it, which apparently is normal. Should I add niacin to the ducks that are fine and don't seem to have this food, too? Anything else I need to know about this? Thanks guys! Splish, the duck thanks you too!

2. Kroelies

Kroelies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2015
    Netherlands
    Yes it's good to give the other ducks niacin too, I don't know the amounts to add but you have to get the right kind of niacin (not the flush free niacin).

Letting her swim is good therapy for her legs. How old is Splish? If she is young then lukewarm is better. And of course supervision. You didn't find any injuries on her leg or feet? :)

3. The Duck Ladie

Splish is about 2 months old. I didn't see any injuries on her leg and foot.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  4. The Duck Ladie

Why doesn't it need to be flush free?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  5. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    You don't want flush free or the time release kind. It goes through their system way too fast to be of any use to them.

6. The Duck Ladie

Thanks lomine. sorry, forgot to put don't in.

7. The Duck Ladie

Ok, I got Niacin and brewer's yeast. I'm gonna give her the niacin, but should I give the brewer's yeast too?

8. DuckGirl77

DuckGirl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    Brewer's yeast has niacin in it. Make sure you don't overdose with niacin. I don't remember why, even though I just read that yesterday!
    It's 2 or 3 cups of brewers yeast per ten lbs. of feed

9. The Duck Ladie

It's because overdosing can cause liver problem.

10. The Duck Ladie

Thank you all for your help!My duck Is outside and doing WAY better! Thanks!
    - The Duck Ladie (Lady)

Last edited: May 4, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by