Is there anyway to tell the age of a chicken?

Here's some comparisons of when we got them in May/June (left), to now. đź’” Our Brahma looks rough.

Attachments

• InCollage_20231106_122546248.jpg
    InCollage_20231106_122546248.jpg
    449.3 KB · Views: 12
  • InCollage_20231106_122408151~2.jpg
    InCollage_20231106_122408151~2.jpg
    593.5 KB · Views: 11
Since everyone has been so helpful here, I'm gonna post the two other hens we adopted with these older two. Again, she said they were all about 2 years old. The difference with these two is that they're both out best layers. The Maran lays 5-7 eggs per week, the EE about 4 eggs a week.

Anyone have any thoughts on their age?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231106-122040.png
    Screenshot_20231106-122040.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20231106-121755.png
    Screenshot_20231106-121755.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
Those could definitely be 2 years old, judging both by their looks and by their frequency of laying.

The Brahma doesn't look that much worse between when you got her and now, she just looks pale now because it's the off season and she is on winter break. When they are actively laying, their face gear will be bright red even if they only lay once a week. But even the everyday layers will turn pale in the off season if they aren't actively laying. So maybe it's just that. She definitely looks old, but the difference between the two pictures is probably season-related.

Those could definitely be 2 years old, judging both by their looks and by their frequency of laying.

The Brahma doesn't look that much worse between when you got her and now, she just looks pale now because it's the off season and she is on winter break. When they are actively laying, their face gear will be bright red even if they only lay once a week. But even the everyday layers will turn pale in the off season if they aren't actively laying. So maybe it's just that. She definitely looks old, but the difference between the two pictures is probably season-related.
Even her body condition??? The redness is one thing, I agree, but man her body condition has declined.

Mk. I kinda assumed the EE and Maran were younger based on those same parameters, and my gut told me the Brahma and Barnevelder were older.

Even her body condition??? The redness is one thing, I agree, but man her body condition has declined.

Mk. I kinda assumed the EE and Maran were younger based on those same parameters, and my gut told me the Brahma and Barnevelder were older.
If you mean the weight loss, then yeah, that's definitely a problem, and could be age, or not... Feathers don't look quite as smooth as in the first picture... What are you feeding them?

If you mean the weight loss, then yeah, that's definitely a problem, and could be age, or not... Feathers don't look quite as smooth as in the first picture... What are you feeding them?
18% Nutrena layer pellets. I switched to Nutrena all flock while raising pullets, which worked out well for their recent molt since it's 20% protein. But they've been on the layer pellets for about 3 weeks now.

18% Nutrena layer pellets. I switched to Nutrena all flock while raising pullets, which worked out well for their recent molt since it's 20% protein. But they've been on the layer pellets for about 3 weeks now.
It would be better to switch them to the 20% protein all flock permanently. They don't need layer feed with pre-added calcium if they aren't currently laying, or if they aren't laying regularly. The calcium builds up and can cause problems over time. 20% protein is better overall for all ages, but especially for older chickens who are having a harder time maintaining healthy plumage. Just have calcium on the side (crushed eggshell or oyster shell) for anybody still laying, or for their overall needs (they still need some calcium when not laying, just not as much as layer feed has).

It would be better to switch them to the 20% protein all flock permanently. They don't need layer feed with pre-added calcium if they aren't currently laying, or if they aren't laying regularly. The calcium builds up and can cause problems over time. 20% protein is better overall for all ages, but especially for older chickens who are having a harder time maintaining healthy plumage. Just have calcium on the side (crushed eggshell or oyster shell) for anybody still laying, or for their overall needs (they still need some calcium when not laying, just not as much as layer feed has).
Mk! I'll just switch back to the all flock, then. Thanks!

During moult they lose up to one third of their body weight.

Deworming them will make sure there is no internal parasites taking their toll.
I've considered deworming them, given their somewhat neglected state I received them in, but have seen on the BYC FB page people recommend not to do that unless you can confirm they have worms? What are your thoughts there, and is there an OTC product you'd recommend?

Back
Top Bottom