Is there anyway to tell the age of a chicken?

TheNewFeathers

Chirping
Apr 23, 2023
Hi everyone!

We got these ladies this summer from someone who claimed they were two years old. They did need some treatment when we got them, the Brahma for scaly leg mites and the barnevelder for some crazy long nails. The other 3 they came with definitely have more pep in their step. I feel like these two gals look like older hens.

The laid for us a little this summer, like 1-2 eggs a week, and stopped in July and haven't laid an egg since. They both went through molt, but are fully feathered now. Since it's gotten colder, they both have slowed down a lot. Last out of the coop, resting often, etc. Still just as excitable about food and treats, though!

The Brahma often only stands on one foot at a time. Her feet look healthy, and no sign of bumblefoot, but they do look a little swollen. The barnevelder has started crowing every morning. 🫠

It doesn't really matter to me if they are older hens, I'm mainly curious if there's a way to tell their age, and also curious as to how I can support them through their golden years. ♥️ I feel like they definitely look older in their face.

We don't/can't cull here (don't eat meat anyways), so these gals will just live out their days with us.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231105-132149.png
    Screenshot_20231105-132149.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 105
  • Screenshot_20231105-132258.png
    Screenshot_20231105-132258.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 35
I keep Brahmas, never had old Barneveleders so I won’t comment too much on her. I always look at the legs first, old hens have coarser scales. Next is the face, old hens develop wrinkles like people, especially Brahmas. I’d say that hen is at least three, likely more. Obviously how they are raised changes things, but she looks old to me.
Here are some of my Brahmas, these two hens and my Rooster (who is moulting so excuse his scruffy feathers) are two and a half years old, still with relatively smooth and bright faces. Peggy, the paler one, is beginning to get large ‘eyebrows’ and less smooth legs, but I wouldn’t say she is quite like yours.
8ECCAD3D-2FD8-4A36-B51A-B118C58F4CCA.jpeg
367ABD83-65AF-459E-A005-9DCCF46DF1E4.jpeg
246025C9-F8B7-46E1-BE32-DBDE78211195.jpeg

Here is a hen I got when she was already old, she has never laid me an egg so I presume she’s over three. She is very chunky and had thicker leg scales and a less smooth face. I also often find that older Brahmas have a larger dewlap (the hanging skin in the throat between the wattles).
E20FA01D-AC95-4BFD-BA2C-3B17D57F56F3.jpeg
BB781F6D-B5CE-4C39-8146-415705A17DFA.jpeg
Hope this helps

I keep Brahmas, never had old Barneveleders so I won’t comment too much on her. I always look at the legs first, old hens have coarser scales. Next is the face, old hens develop wrinkles like people, especially Brahmas. I’d say that hen is at least three, likely more. Obviously how they are raised changes things, but she looks old to me.
Here are some of my Brahmas, these two hens and my Rooster (who is moulting so excuse his scruffy feathers) are two and a half years old, still with relatively smooth and bright faces. Peggy, the paler one, is beginning to get large ‘eyebrows’ and less smooth legs, but I wouldn’t say she is quite like yours. View attachment 3677224View attachment 3677225View attachment 3677226
Here is a hen I got when she was already old, she has never laid me an egg so I presume she’s over three. She is very chunky and had thicker leg scales and a less smooth face. I also often find that older Brahmas have a larger dewlap (the hanging skin in the throat between the wattles).View attachment 3677227View attachment 3677228 Hope this helps
This was extremely helpful, thank you! I wondered if they get wrinkles and whatnot, because they just look and act old to me. Like I definitely think they're over 3, maybe close to 5?

The Brahma used to be pretty hefty, but as she's slowed down she's lost a lot of weight too. I'm more concerned she's not going to last a lot longer. :(

The Barnevelder seems older than my other hens, but definitely not like my Brahma.

This was extremely helpful, thank you! I wondered if they get wrinkles and whatnot, because they just look and act old to me. Like I definitely think they're over 3, maybe close to 5?

The Brahma used to be pretty hefty, but as she's slowed down she's lost a lot of weight too. I'm more concerned she's not going to last a lot longer. :(

The Barnevelder seems older than my other hens, but definitely not like my Brahma.
Yes, 5 seems reasonable, Brahmas often live quite long so it’s very likely they reach this age. They often do get very light when they get older. I had a hen (not Brahma) who got too old to walk around much and the roosters took advantage of that. I moved her to live with my silkies as their one roo is smaller than her and though he sometimes mounted her she didn’t receive any recess stress, and the silkie hens are too small to bully her. She lived over six more months in there, and even laid eggs until about a month before she died. You often can pick up on it when they are in need of retirement, if there is no problems with her in your flock you don’t need to worry. She might live another year, but if she’s getting lighter you will expect that she is near the end of her life.

Yes, 5 seems reasonable, Brahmas often live quite long so it’s very likely they reach this age. They often do get very light when they get older. I had a hen (not Brahma) who got too old to walk around much and the roosters took advantage of that. I moved her to live with my silkies as their one roo is smaller than her and though he sometimes mounted her she didn’t receive any recess stress, and the silkie hens are too small to bully her. She lived over six more months in there, and even laid eggs until about a month before she died. You often can pick up on it when they are in need of retirement, if there is no problems with her in your flock you don’t need to worry. She might live another year, but if she’s getting lighter you will expect that she is near the end of her life.
I kinda wondered if that was the case. :( while the barnevelder is older, I don't think she's anywhere near as old as the Brahma. She was a really big chicken when we got her, but she's definitely steadily lost weight. Even when she did lay for us, it was only one egg weekly or biweekly.

We have no roosters, and a very docile flock. She's also really high on the pecking order, so she's safe to comfortably live out her days with the flock. :( she's my son's favorite, unfortunately. 💔

I have two DSL Barnevelders like yours. Mine are 3.5 years old and yours looks older. I've noticed that as they age, their heads have started turning more gray, like people. Their heads and necks used to be almost completely black.

Here are two pictures of one of my hens, taken 3 years apart.

Barnie2.jpg
IMG_3472.jpg

Here are both of my Barnevelders today, at 3.5 years old:

IMG_3503.jpg

I have two DSL Barnevelders like yours. Mine are 3.5 years old and yours looks older. I've noticed that as they age, their heads have started turning more gray, like people. Their heads and necks used to be almost completely black.

Here are two pictures of one of my hens, taken 3 years apart.

View attachment 3677726View attachment 3677727

Here are both of my Barnevelders today, at 3.5 years old:

View attachment 3677729
Ohhhh. 😥 Judging by that, and the wrinkles in her face, my barnevelder is probably 4-5 too then, huh? 😥

Back
Top Bottom