Wyandotte temperaments

I love this thread :D I have 5 Wyandottes from 4 different origins -- 2 silver, 2 gold, 1 blr. They're docile divas đź’… and my some of my favorites in the flock. For me, they tend to stay out of the drama but hold their own.

Originally, I only had one gold laced amongst 2 pairs of 2 other breeds, so she had no "peers." She was the top queen hen for sure. She is friends with everyone and also just so above the drama of the others. Never a bully but always on top.

My blr is a total loner. She's almost without a peer being the only of her color, and she came from another flock with one other hen (a lil easter egger). She doesn't really like most of the other chickens but will tolerate a select few. She is totally fine doing her own thing and doesn't get bullied. IDK if this helps her standing, but she is the hugest bird in the flock. 🤷‍♀️

If it comes down to yours being a solo without other wyandottes and is currently doing fine with the rest of the flock, I have hopes for her!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

I have two Silver laced (had three but one died for no obvious reason) and they are prima donnas. I can't handle them (or even catch them) and when a stray game hen showed up here they bullied her almost to death. I think they are snobs and bullies, but not mean to people. The two are usually best friends, but apparently they have occasional fallings out and don't want to be around each other for a day or three.
I'd like to get a few more chickens but I'm afraid of what these girls would do! I think a lot of what people said about strains from different breeders rings true - I know that was certainly the case with goats when we had them.

UPDATE: As I've been observing them more, I have noticed that the Wyandottes are segregating themselves by color, even though they are hatch-mates and grew up together 🙄 The two gold laced are friends with each other, but pick on the splash laced red (and not on each other). The splash laced red hang out together and avoid the gold laced. Racist little jerks. I have a couple groups of Orpington peers of different colors and they don't discriminate amongst each other by color within the peer group, their preferences are by age and the peers they grew up with...

Back
Top Bottom