Is there anywere you can get just 1 or 2 chicks?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chicken Boy-17, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Chicken Boy-17

Chicken Boy-17 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    Is there anywere you can get just 1 or 2 chicks?
    At TSC they make me get six

2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You might need to move this post to another thread .. but welcome!

3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi feed store, if they don't have any they should know who has some to sell. Craigslist in you area...I just bought 3 marans that way... [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  4. Chicken Boy-17

Chicken Boy-17 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    my bad, do you know any places?

5. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    You can order from mypetchicken.com, I don't know what their minimum order is but I know it aint 25. The only stupid thing is that you end up paying 35 bucks to ship four chicks >[​IMG]

6. Kitt

Kitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Texas
    There is a hatchery that does small orders.

7. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

What a good question!!

Only one chick would be pretty lonesome, because they are flock animals, so go for two so they will have another chicken to hang out with....

Sometimes, sources require a minimum because it is important that the chicks don't get chilled, (relatively speaking) in transit...from someplace like TSC to home. So they require a minimum.

Some avenues to consider:

1. get more chicks - and then sell the extras when they are a little older. If you get 'straight run' chicks then there is a chance that 1/2 will not be hens... if your objective is eggs, then you need to find some way to 'rehome' the cockerels that come with your chicks.....
    2. find someone who also only wants a couple and get the required number then split
    3. search for a little older, than TSC -- maybe a local breeder or Craigs list-- and plan ahead (hot water bottle?) to make sure that they will have the temperature that they need for the drive home, a good breeder would give you good advice about the best methods.
    4. sometimes in little chicks there is a mortality -- and so people are advised to get more than they actually want.
    5. check local feed stores, sometimes they will sell chicks... (although usually around here it is early early spring when they have them---) maybe they don't have restriction on how many you buy.

I think that maybe MyPetChicken.com does sell 3 chicks--- part of that depends upon the weather, the distance to ship, the availablity.

good luck, and post back how you find to solve the dilemma.

8. The Burg Peeps

The Burg Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Ontario
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ontario, Canada.

9. jujubee

jujubee Feather Hill Farm

Mar 3, 2011
    I dont know about GA but here in Ohio I have met some really nice people with QUALITY chicks off craigslist. I just bought a absolutely awesome Pearl silkie from a show breeder that came directly from Donna McCormick. [​IMG]

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Good advice given [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by