Is there better brand chick starters..

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Birchwood, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Birchwood

Birchwood Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Southern Vermont
    I am just starting out and wanted to make sure I got the best starter food...are all brands about the same?[​IMG]

2. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    No not all chick starter is the same. Go down to the feed section there are alot of threads there about feeding chicks and the brands.

3. Birchwood

Birchwood Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Southern Vermont
    I'll learn where to find everything, eventually-Thanks!!!

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    My chickens tell me that Dumor is the best brand. [​IMG] Seriously, any other brand of food and they don't eat as much. Almost like they are willing to eat just enough to keep from starving. With Dumor they eat like little piggies. [​IMG] I realize that has NOTHING to do with the nutrition content, however. [​IMG]

5. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    okay we learned something in the past few weeks....we started with Dumor 20% (protein) starter, then the next week tried purina (thinking it's a well known brand and a great dog food so why not) and THE POO SMELL WAS WAY MORE NOTICABLE [​IMG] so we went back to dumor and not nearly as bad a smell. ours are 4 weeks old and when the poo starts getting bigger, you really notice the change in odor.

also, there are brands that use soy as the main or only protein source and others may use meat and/or bone meal for protein source. so check the label and get what is comfortable for you.

6. 1birdlady

1birdlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Hi y'all...we're feeding Wendlands "Only One" crumbles, at 18% protein. It seems to be well tolerated. No pasty butts and hardly a "poo" smell.

Feed store where we got them, said to use this until they are ready to lay, then get a higher protein feed/layer feed.
    Chicks are growing well and "normal" [​IMG] as far as we can tell...we only have 4 BR babies.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by