Is there currently a recessive white version of the Silkie?

There may have been a different recessive white in silkies. Recently a recessive white allele on the mottled locus (mo^w) was found.

What do you want to testbreed? The problem is that exhibition grade recessive whites are often loaded with additional stuff including dom.white which would not be helpful.

I am a fan of conciseness but iiCCoo is a bit too concise... ;)

There may have been a different recessive white in silkies. Recently a recessive white allele on the mottled locus (mo^w) was found.

Yes! Very exciting stuff. Although I think questions remain concerning the behavior, which appears to be different, of the tri-colored mo/mo (as in Speckled Sussex) and the Minohiki mo/mo. I can't yet see how tri-colored mottling and the two-colored mottling, though both mo/mo, can't have some other modifier or something at work to explain the difference. But the new mo^w ... wow!

What do you want to testbreed? The problem is that exhibition grade recessive whites are often loaded with additional stuff including dom.white which would not be helpful.

Yes, my supposed "exhibition grade" recessive whites were loaded with additional stuff. That is why I am ending up testbreeding them. I crossed them up with two other breeds to check for Dominant White, etc., a couple of years back, and nothing has made sense ever since, though I have not been working on it beyond just making more backyard layers by back crossing. It's all very sloppy hobby-ism. But hopefully I can muster enough curiosity that I can finish a few careful tests over the next few months to satisfy myself as to what makes sense to me. Sadly, all I have left is progeny from the first initial cross ... so ... again sloppy hobby-ism. But I've still got enough to play with. I think the birds are delightfully pretty, possibly useful, though they are the "dreaded" mutts, and so I am quite happy.

ETA: Whoops. Just remembered ... I fall into the category of "propagator." I haven't yet reached the "sloppy hobby-ist" category.
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom