Is there something wrong with my cayuga?

BBB-wow no joke. and 10,000 sqft aviary
droolin.gif

Im really not lookin to raise a ton of birds or anything (although it would be nice to raise some ducklings next spring)
but if i get the chance, i would like to try my luck with my new incubator that im gonna buy sometime during the holidays and hatch some mandarin or ringed teal ducklings and see if anywill imprint on me. That way i just might be able to get the others to calm down. That or i might look into getting some call ducklings. Who knows.

nursesammy: i was gonna give you info to our county's monthly poultry swap but it would be a long drive for you and a new duck.
tongue.png

Last edited:
Normally, when a bird suddenly becomes friendly, I worry. That would normally be a warning sign that they are sick. It sounds like yours though might be a case of her reaching maturity and bonding with you since there are no other ducks. That also is fairly normal. Ducks will sometimes solicit mating from their human and drakes will sometimes even come up to you and try to mate you (usually your leg or foot, LOL). If she allows you to pet her back or she squats down when you do so, it is that she sees you as a mate. Even if she doesn't do that, I would be inclined to think that is what is going on.

Quote:
yep, actually that was just 1 aviary, had 4 of them like that.
Ring teal will be your best bet for wild imprinting, mandarins and woodies are very wild and tuff to do it, best you can wish for with them is to just be able to walk past them with no freak outs.

Quote:
yep, I fully agree there, when it happens suddenly, and with no trickly down ease into it, that's the first thing to worry about, disease.
If they seem lethargic and more of an "oh well just get me thing" as opposed to them coming to you for attention, definately check them out good, something is usually wrong. especially if you have a group, 9 time out of 10 they will stay with the group and not care for you, but yes, your case sounds like a lonely duck, just watch her this week and be sure she is healthy. Watch the droppings, and actions of her, her food intake, etc, if all seem normal, you just have a bonded duck.

Kansaskid- how far r we talkin? I try to attend the swap in manhattan monthly. As for mating im thinking thats it. Cuz she does lowr her head an will squat when i rub toward her tail an her tail goes up. Its cute. Does this mean she'll start laying so?

O well as soon as i get the monthly newsletter when the swap is supposed to be I can pm you all the info, will that work? (its usually at the cherokee county fairgrounds)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom