Is there something wrong with their feathers?

jpalmatier2

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2023
Hi, new chicken family here. We live in North Florida. We have 6 two week old Buff Orpingtons. Our brooder is inside in a 50 qt tub with pine shavings and a heat plate. All of the chickens are eating and drinking like champs. Everyone is very active. I do a complete clean/change out of of their brooder materials once a day. I also check their brooder two other times and and a small top layer of pine shavings, clean the top of the brooder plate and clean out their water container. I say all this so you have the background info.

Yesterday, I noticed three of the chicks seen to have an area on their breasts that does not have any feathers. I am not sure if I have just not noticed this before. Or if there is a problem I need to address?? Please let me know of any advice/info you have.

Attachments

• 4DF96752-A626-4817-8CF1-57FE6948E6D3.jpeg
    4DF96752-A626-4817-8CF1-57FE6948E6D3.jpeg
    445.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 4B35310A-BD08-48ED-A1E8-79C67ACC496D.jpeg
    4B35310A-BD08-48ED-A1E8-79C67ACC496D.jpeg
    428.4 KB · Views: 7
Hi, new chicken family here. We live in North Florida. We have 6 two week old Buff Orpingtons. Our brooder is inside in a 50 qt tub with pine shavings and a heat plate. All of the chickens are eating and drinking like champs. Everyone is very active. I do a complete clean/change out of of their brooder materials once a day. I also check their brooder two other times and and a small top layer of pine shavings, clean the top of the brooder plate and clean out their water container. I say all this so you have the background info.

Yesterday, I noticed three of the chicks seen to have an area on their breasts that does not have any feathers. I am not sure if I have just not noticed this before. Or if there is a problem I need to address?? Please let me know of any advice/info you have.
Just new feathers growing in as others have noted, shouldn't be anything to worry about at this age. I do hope you have a larger place to put them, you'll need that very soon as they will quickly outgrow the 50 qt tub.

Back
Top Bottom