Is there something wrong?

PearlaMae123

In the Brooder
Jan 10, 2017
We bought 2 EEs about 4 weeks ago and they were doing great.
we did have some concerns about the yellow one being a rooster because of how loud and (slightly) aggressive she is. There was no real problem, but recently the brown one has been sleeping a lot and making a very loud distress warble. I’m very worried that the yellow chick did something to her that isn’t noticeable. Since there are only 2 chicks, I am scared that one will die and leave the other alone.
Is this just a kind of pecking order or should we be concerned?

Sorry your chick is having trouble. :(

Is it eating, drinking, and pooing? What does the poo look like? What do you feed including treats and supplements? How much space are they in? Can you post a pic of them both? Is about 4 weeks also how old they are now? What is your heat source? How warm are they?

The possibility of something happening to one chicks and leaving another behind is VERY real. :barnie This is why I often suggest NOT less than 3. But honestly they also learn from each other and more adventurous chicks will help the shyer on pick up on things faster.

IF the yellow chick "did" something to your other one, then it is a side effect of normal stuff and likely just an accident. But answering the questions will help myself and others to get an accurate picture and give more appropriate advice. :fl

How old are they, and are you seeing any runny poops with mucus or blood? You may post pictures if you need some help with deciding the sex. Is the noise respiratory or just squawking? Could it be a practice crow? Coccidiosis can cause sleepiness, weakness, diarrhea, and poor appetite, and they may stand hunched up. Corid (amprollium) in the water for 7 days would be the medicine to treat it.

19265DFE-A716-4B36-905A-1538B0FA30EF.jpeg

they are both eating drinking and pooping normally. they’re about 4-6 weeks. they are eating medicated chick food and have chick grit mixed in to food. i have been giving them clumps of grass and weeds. they have a heat lamp that is at about 65-70 degrees.
Sorry your chick is having trouble. :(

Is it eating, drinking, and pooing? What does the poo look like? What do you feed including treats and supplements? How much space are they in? Can you post a pic of them both? Is about 4 weeks also how old they are now? What is your heat source? How warm are they?

The possibility of something happening to one chicks and leaving another behind is VERY real. :barnie This is why I often suggest NOT less than 3. But honestly they also learn from each other and more adventurous chicks will help the shyer on pick up on things faster.

IF the yellow chick "did" something to your other one, then it is a side effect of normal stuff and likely just an accident. But answering the questions will help myself and others to get an accurate picture and give more appropriate advice. :fl

How old are they, and are you seeing any runny poops with mucus or blood? You may post pictures if you need some help with deciding the sex. Is the noise respiratory or just squawking? Could it be a practice crow? Coccidiosis can cause sleepiness, weakness, diarrhea, and poor appetite, and they may stand hunched up. Corid (amprollium) in the water for 7 days would be the medicine to treat it.
the noise is just a sort of squawk and i think it’s just her beginnings of a cluck. no bad poops.
i am concerned about the coccidiosis risk though. the brown chick is very hunched up and sleeps a lot. where could i get the medicine?
thank you both.

I would go ahead and treat them with Corid which you can find at most feed stores in packets of powder or bottles of liquid. Dosage is 1.5 tsp of the powder or 2 tsp (10ml) of the liquid per gallon of water. You may want to mix a gallon, put some into a quart waterer, and refrigerate the rest. Put out fresh daily in case they poop in it. Corid is not an antibiotic, so it is perfectly safe to use, even if they don’t have coccidiosis, but that is the most common illness in young chicks. Good luck. Call around at your feed stores to get it, since this is chick time, and may be sold out. You can buy it online easily.

Last edited:
They sell Corid at Tractor Supply or at many feed stores. Also pick up some Nutridrench if you don't have it.
Nutri drench is good to have on hand, but should NOT be given at that same time as the Corid. :)

sleeps a lot.
Hunched up where? Under the lamp? What is "A Lot"? Possible it just isn't quite warm enough? Cold chicks get mad.

ETA: little cuties! :love

Nutri drench is good to have on hand, but should NOT be given at that same time as the Corid. :)

Hunched up where? Under the lamp? What is "A Lot"? Possible it just isn't quite warm enough? Cold chicks get mad.

ETA: little cuties! :love

“a lot” meaning whenever i go to check on them they’re asleep or falling asleep. they aren’t under the light but they are all hunched. i will buy some Corid today.

Back
Top Bottom