1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is there still hope?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bbelflower, Jan 11, 2016.

1. bbelflower

bbelflower Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2015
    Pampa, TX
    Last night sometime my broody hen left her 18 eggs. This morning they were all cold so reactively I just put them in an incubator. Is this a wasted effort or does anyone know if there's still hope?? Was gonna wait and candle them once we got some heat going through them again. Please advise. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It depends on how cold they actually got and how long they stayed cold. I’ve had a broody hen go back to the wrong nest. The eggs were really cold to the touch when I found her and put her back on the right nest. She hatched 11 out of 11 eggs so yes there is still hope. But it’s not a good thing to have happened.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. bbelflower

Jun 12, 2015
    Pampa, TX

The eggs on the outside were really cold. It was 15° here this morning but they were in bedding and a coop with a heat lamp. She wasn't laying on them and didn't even come back in the coop once I walked out with the eggs. She's been sitting on a fence all morning. The eggs warmed up surprisingly fast when put in the incubator with heat and humidity. Thanks for your input. Keeping fingers crossed. One hatched out last night. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    1 person likes this.
  5. bbelflower

Jun 12, 2015
    Pampa, TX

Very interesting readings! Offers a bit of encouragement! Thanks!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by