is there such a thing a chicken proof plants?

missychicky

Songster
12 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Portland, OR
I am SICK of looking a my chickens run. It is either mud or dust depending on the season. I really want to put some plants in there. I know the chickens would eat the plants to death but are there any chicken proof plants? Something the chickens don't like?

Last edited:
Normally if the chickens dont eat the plants it is becouse they are poisenous ( sorry about the spelling) What about plastic plants
gig.gif

my chickens won't touch mint plants... and they tend to leave my other really strongly flavored herbs (like sage and rosemary) alone as well... but is there enough room in the run for them? my little ones can destroy a patch of grass like no body's business... now that they have the whole backyard things are good... i'd search the website for that subject as i think there have been several conversations about good plants that chickens aren't as fond of destroying/eating...

Junipers? They smell strongly, are prickly and taste bad. My chickens seem to leave most of the pines and junipers alone. You would probably want to put chicken wire cages around anything you plant to keep them from experimenting. I use metal tent stakes to hold them down. Seems to be working with the chickens and the rest of the wild life around here bent on eating everything.

The best thing I ever did was cover the run...no more mud! Put things for them to climb on like branches, straw bales... but plants, they will peck & scratch it to death...also give them some shade. Can you let them out from time to time?

Mine won't eat the oleanders or the tomato plants (thankfully). Everything else gets eaten. Oh, they don't eat my butterfly bush or fully established roses either. They like the new growth on my new rose bush though.

Back
Top Bottom