Is there such a thing as a hermaphrodite in chickens?

I believe there can be female chickens that develop male feathers due to an ovarian cyst. But to my understanding they originally lay and act like hens and then stop once this occurs and never be able to father chicks. If it fathered chicks, I bet he's a rooster. Roosters will often sit in nests to show hens where to lay too

Mine, specifically is only 3 1/2 to 4 months old currently...I've been confused since this one was three weeks old, thinking it was female, but then started developing more and more male traits

I had one. "She" didn't quite look like a hen, didn't quite look like a roo. Never crowed and never layed an egg 🤷🏼‍♀️

I didn't see your comment, but that is exactly what this one seems like it's going to end up doing...Apparently, most people(especially those who breed) would normally be quick to get rid of the different one, but I think it's so neat and unique, myself...That one shall be one of the pets Lol

I didn't see your comment, but that is exactly what this one seems like it's going to end up doing...Apparently, most people(especially those who breed) would normally be quick to get rid of the different one, but I think it's so neat and unique, myself...That one shall be one of the pets Lol
At the time I had a fairly large flock so I didn't mind keeping my little odd one around. S/he was definitely an odd one. Very dramatic. Hardly any feathers. Big awkward legs and feet. S/he was very entertaining to watch. Friendly and loved life.

Cockerel, IMO!

Nothing at all looks like a hen.
Some develop slower, but they're still cockerels. I don't know how old your one is.

This is an old thread, but the initial cockerel still looks completely manly. I don't believe he layed that egg for a minute. Feathering chicks and laying eggs? No.

Mine, specifically is only 3 1/2 to 4 months old currently...I've been confused since this one was three weeks old, thinking it was female, but then started developing more and more male traits
Can I respectfully ask why you assume it's a hermaphrodite when it hasn't even reached sexual maturity? I find it extremely likely to be a slow maturing cockerel. Sometimes they can take 5-6 months to finally start acting like one 😊

Can I respectfully ask why you assume it's a hermaphrodite when it hasn't even reached sexual maturity? I find it extremely likely to be a slow maturing cockerel. Sometimes they can take 5-6 months to finally start acting like one 😊

I thought this one was female from the beginning based on appearance and personality, but at the age now, this one is older than my younger ones, but still somewhere in between the look of the younger pullet and the younger roos...

Also, the woman I bought them from is the one who made the comment about it being likely

I thought this one was female from the beginning based on appearance and personality, but at the age now, this one is older than my younger ones, but still somewhere in between the look of the younger pullet and the younger roos...

Also, the woman I bought them from is the one who made the comment about it being likely
I really think it's a slow maturing roo 😬 I am curious, update when it hits six months or so!

Back
Top Bottom