Is there such a thing as a "Key" to chicken breeds?

Quote:
Right, you start with one trait and go from there to pick things like eye color, leg color,ear color. For instance you have a black chicken then your next decision might be a) if it has yellow skin and legs then go "here" - b) if it has black legs and skin go "here" - c) if it has white legs go "here" and so on. Hope that makes sence

That is a dichotomous key. They can be very handy at narrowing down choices.

ok, I need one of those too!!!!!

Quote:
I was hoping that there was a key to the pure breeds and if you eliminated those possibilities then you'd know you had a "mutt"
big_smile.png

By the way, I forgot to mention that she has a mostly black beak - does that help?? I'm begining to think she may be a mutt - a very pretty mutt:)

Donna

Well, I think I've figured out what she is - a Columbian Wyandotte - she looks exactly like the picture on the breeds page. I don't know how I missed that the first 10 times I looked through it:rolleyes: Can someone please tell me how to pronounce Wyandotte:idunno (why aren't my smileys working???)

One down and 5 to go - boy that key would sure be helpful.

Donna

I'd hazard a guess that wy-an-dot and whyn-dot are differentiated by regional accent. Those who live where a drawl is part of the expected pronunciation probably use two, drawn out syllables.

Back
Top Bottom