Is there such a thing as a "Key" to chicken breeds?

fernnut

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 22, 2010
Magnolia TX
I've adopted 6 chickens from a rescue farm and would like to identify them if possible. I've had experience using keys to identify plants - is there a "key" to identify chickens. One of them looks like a Light Sussex except it has yellow legs - what has this marking AND yellow leggs, etc? If there is no such thing (a great $ opportunity for some knowledgeable person), I'll just post pictures and see if you wonderful folks can help.

Donna

welcome-byc.gif

You may find this helpful:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/breeds/

Also, this:

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Last edited:
Quote:
I don't think so - the feathers on her hackels are black with white just around the edges, same with the tail feathers. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow, my daughter has my camera and the chickens will be going to bed soon. She's a pretty girl - probably around 18 or 19 weeks. She may not even be full blooded anything.

Quote:
Right, you start with one trait and go from there to pick things like eye color, leg color,ear color. For instance you have a black chicken then your next decision might be a) if it has yellow skin and legs then go "here" - b) if it has black legs and skin go "here" - c) if it has white legs go "here" and so on. Hope that makes sence

Quote:
Right, you start with one trait and go from there to pick things like eye color, leg color,ear color. For instance you have a black chicken then your next decision might be a) if it has yellow skin and legs then go "here" - b) if it has black legs and skin go "here" - c) if it has white legs go "here" and so on. Hope that makes sence

That is a dichotomous key. They can be very handy at narrowing down choices.

Quote:

That is a dichotomous key. They can be very handy at narrowing down choices.

Do you know where we can find one on chickens????

Back
Top Bottom