Is there such a thing as a "Key" to chicken breeds?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fernnut, Nov 20, 2010.

1. fernnut

fernnut Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2010
    Magnolia TX
    I've adopted 6 chickens from a rescue farm and would like to identify them if possible. I've had experience using keys to identify plants - is there a "key" to identify chickens. One of them looks like a Light Sussex except it has yellow legs - what has this marking AND yellow leggs, etc? If there is no such thing (a great $ opportunity for some knowledgeable person), I'll just post pictures and see if you wonderful folks can help.

Donna

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  3. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    You mean like a decision tree. Good idea!

4. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
  5. fernnut

Sep 22, 2010
    Magnolia TX
    Quote:I don't think so - the feathers on her hackels are black with white just around the edges, same with the tail feathers. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow, my daughter has my camera and the chickens will be going to bed soon. She's a pretty girl - probably around 18 or 19 weeks. She may not even be full blooded anything.

6. fernnut

Sep 22, 2010
    Magnolia TX
    Quote:Right, you start with one trait and go from there to pick things like eye color, leg color,ear color. For instance you have a black chicken then your next decision might be a) if it has yellow skin and legs then go "here" - b) if it has black legs and skin go "here" - c) if it has white legs go "here" and so on. Hope that makes sence

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Right, you start with one trait and go from there to pick things like eye color, leg color,ear color. For instance you have a black chicken then your next decision might be a) if it has yellow skin and legs then go "here" - b) if it has black legs and skin go "here" - c) if it has white legs go "here" and so on. Hope that makes sence

That is a dichotomous key. They can be very handy at narrowing down choices.

8. fernnut

Sep 22, 2010
    Magnolia TX

That is a dichotomous key. They can be very handy at narrowing down choices.

Do you know where we can find one on chickens????

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Don't know of any.

10. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    The problem with chickens is that there are so many crossed up ones that they will never fit a key.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by