is there such a thing as a silent roo?

samandramey

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 26, 2009
queen creek, az
I wait and wait to hear that familiar sound... but nothing yet. And as i write this i think, " it's gonna be tomorrow". My roo is so beautiful with full green shimmery tail feathers, shiny sickle feathers and a big ol' spikey comb... but not a peep! He has even "mated" with my hens ( who refuse to start laying any eggs yet at 26 weeks old)!! I wonder how long this can go on before he crows? He is giant and completely "male", maybe he's just content?
smile.png

HOW LUCKY YOU ARE!

Here's hoping it's a genetic trait and that you can pass it along to his progeny.

I have a 7 mo. old BR roo that has yet to crow also. He talks to the girls, calls them for a treat he's found them, mates with the hens that don't try to whip him, still yet no crowing. I guess he's running incognito, sorta trying not to draw too much attention from the other guys as he is the lowest on the totem pole.

Then there's my little game/banty X-breed crowing his little heart out at 3 mos. like there's no tomorrow, and he doesn't care who he's around. I guess 'cause he faster than the big boys are.

Anyway it has something to do with their maturity rate.

catdaddy

I'll keep my fingers crossed... he crows he has to leave. I live in a suburban HOA neighborhood
sad.png
why are the roos always so pretty and so personable, they make you love them!

You are so lucky, just keep your fingers crossed.
I hatched 4 eggs and 2 were roos. One started to crow at 10 weeks and the other a little later. I had to get rid of both and 1 went to live with pheasants about half a mile from where I walk my dogs. His voice is so loud I can hear him all round the walk and alongside the river. Even the noise of the water doesn't drown him out!! I could never have lived with that racket and neither could my village!!!

I have two roos who have been raised together and get along fine, so far anyway. They are 8 months old. The little bantam cochin is loud and mouthy. The big one (RIR) I've not heard a peep out of. He's a good protector, and "talks" to the girls, so I know he can make sounds. He's definitely the head of the flock. He just doesn't crow. I'm not worried about it because the other one does plenty. And yes, the neighbors (not to close) have commented, but not complained... yet. If so, the little one will have to go. He also mates the hens who are ready, so I know he "knows" he's the roo. He's not confused about it!

Last edited:
So... guess i jinxed myself. He tried his first pathetic crow this morning at around 6:00 am.
sad.png
Oh well, loved him while he was here... anyone in the phoenix area of arizona want a production red rooster, really pretty and such a nice boy!! Not the best picture but you get the idea.
35372_random_009.jpg

So sorry you have to re-home him.
hugs.gif

Sometimes it's just a matter of them not having anything to crow about and then one day, eureka!

Back
Top Bottom