is there such a thing as a silent roo?

the only one i have that is quasi silent is a 10-11 week old d'uccle named Gonzo! i'm hoping he doesn't try to achieve the same decibels or hourly crowing as my other boys.

I have a roo hatched in the spring who is STILL not crowing or mating the girls. He is the only roo with the egglayers, the only other roo I have is a silkie roo in the silkie pen. The non crowing roo is afraid of everyone and every thing. He had a brother who crowed at 12 weeks and turned into dinner. Maybe that scared him. The hens don't like him but they let him roost with them. Maybe one day he will grow up and realize he is a boy.

My boy took his time learning to sing. He was dead silent for 5 months and then one day - I heard a strange sound - It was his early crow attempts - he would only crow once or twice at first. He has been practicing. Now he crows 4-5 times in the morning. and He does not sound so wierd anymore!
Cal
Jax FL

Mine just crowed for the first time! I was starting to wonder too, as he is now 16-17 weeks old but there it was. Did it about 10 times but has gone quiet again now.

The cochin I mentioned in an earlier post will crow over and over, no matter the time of day. Especially bright and early. The RIR, still, not much from him. I have heard him try. Once. A day or two after I posted that he didn't crow. It was awful. Maybe he's embarrassed. That doesn't stop him from being the king roo. He just "honks" to get everyone's attention and they all pay attention.

Quote:
You sound like me a few months ago! .... My husband says he thinks my hens are all free loaders! And, my rooster is hen picked! I do have eggs ... took 7 months ... and very pitiful rooster ... will try to give me a crow in the morning ... after that ... nothing! He thinks he is a lap dog! It will happen1

I would prefer a less crowing roo. Is there such type of a breed? My future roos are 12 weeks old and haven't started crowing yet but may consider to keep just one.. Which of these breeds do you think is a good candidate?
BR, RIR, Brahma, EE

Haven't had a Brahma or EE. My RIR went to join the Taliban but my BR is Mr. Awesome.
smile.png

my barred rock Bruno is very mellow and only really crows if there is a issue or if hes in the mood to wich is kinda rare for him to do he cant really hold a cock a doodle doo like my cochin could so when he does crow its not for very long

I have a little hamburg roo that does not crow
He is fine but has some kind of neurological problem, can't fly etc. has to use a ladder I made him to get on the roost
He is a pet, NOT used for breeding. The girls won't have anything to do with him breeding-wise and he's the lowest in the pecking order.
Never crowed. He talks, but doesn't crow. I'm really glad because I can't have roosters here and by not crowing he is able to stay as a pet. I'm sure the not crowing saved his life.

Back
Top Bottom