Is there such thing as a "nice" roo

My Henry is not mean at all. He is so good to the girls - always makes sure they have food and keeps an eye out for them. He isn't snuggly like the girls but I can pick him up with no fuss. He gets in the car if we leave the doors open - same with the house - he is a sweety.
smile.png

62514_0722101828a.jpg

62514_dsc_0271.jpg

* edited to include photo's of Henry
smile.png

Last edited:
I think Thor is BEAUTIFUL! He looks like my Roo, but my Roo doesn't have yellow skin...not quite sure what he is (other than sweet) I need to post a picture. I also wanted to thank you for the valuable info on your BYC Page..I am always looking for info on roos and how to handle them. Please email me any Roo info you might want to share!

I have several Roos and they all have taken their turn at testing me. Never have they made a serious attack, but getting between me and their girls, raising their hackles and such. I use hug therapy to dominate my roos. If any of the roos challenge me, that is an immediate request for a hug. I simply pick them up and hold them like a football while going about my business. the first few times that I picked them up, I would have to hold their feet and or cover their eyes until they settled down some. The Roos do not like being held. I think they loose cool points with the girls when this happens. When I pick the up I usually stroke their waddles. They reall seem to like this and they calm right down. I will carry them around for several minutes and if one of the other Roos comes around while I'm holding another, I usually ask if they want a hug to and they find something else to do.

Sometime I just give one a hug because I haven't hugged one in awhile. keeps them honest I think. I am also starting to believ that my alpha Roo is starting to like hugs. He rarely struggles or tries hard to get away. I have an American Game Banty that is particularly hard headed, but even he calms down once I have him in my arm.

If I were you, and the Roo in question is a fight to the death kinda Roo, I would make a reservation at freezer camp. They are very good at inflicting damage. I happen to believe that a Roo is NEVER to old to learn, but they may be hard wired against submission.

btw if you hold a chicken upside down by their feet, they will not struggle much at all. I also would not dunk or otherwise inflict hurt on the Roo. It is something he will remember and possibly something you may regret.

Maybe I'm just lucky but I've had many roos and only 2 have ever become a problem. One was a silkie (worst roo ever) and the other a faverolle. I currently have 10 or so roos and not one will bother a human, me or my kids. Including my 12 lb Sussex boy Oliver.

I had a white Sultan roo that was my best friend while I was growing up. His name was Salty and he'd come sit in my lap every day and help me eat my lunch.
big_smile.png

When I saw the title of your thread, I must say, I was shocked, and not sure weather to laugh or not. The answer is yes, yes, YES!! I really wish I had some videos of my roosters up, so you could see how INSANELY nice they are! In fact, I think ALL roosters, when dealt with the right way, and tamed, can be nice. Just check this out: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=63850-the-definite-guide-to-roosters. The first picture is of one of my very, very nice roosters, Tamer (very original name, huh?
tongue.png
), who is just so nice, people who think all roosters are mean probably wouldn't even recognize him and the others as roosters!
lol.png

Certain roosters can be annoying, especially when they go after the hens, but I love roosters!
big_smile.png

Great pics BTW everyone! I like the one of Henry: that's just what my older rooster acted like. He was amazing.
And Thor is one handsome rooster! It's great how they get better with the hens and more mellow over time.
smile.png

Last edited:
I am glad to hear there are nice roos out there, but now I am having reservations about The Dom. I feel like it is my fault he is like this and I should try harder to rehab him. I fully admit I am a huge wimp about killing things that I raise. But he comes at me when I try to pick him up and I can't visit with my ladies because he is so nasty to me. But only to me! He backs down to my husband. He hasn't really been around anyone else. I know I don't want to keep him...too much bad blood between us. But should I try to rehome him to someone who doesn't have little kids? Is that OK as long as they know his history?

Back
Top Bottom