is this a australorp

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by domtracey, Mar 24, 2012.

1. domtracey

domtracey Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    london UK
    Raven my australorp is 8 months old , dose anyone know why is her wattle and comb black or is she not a australorp as I have looked at other australorp and thay all red but my hens is black.
    [​IMG]

as u can see its almost black, I'm not really concerned as she lays some big eggs

[​IMG]

the left back egg is from my RIR bottom left is my Miss Pepperpot and on the right is ravens egg.
    she is the most chilled out chicken I own, all she dose is sit and watch the world go by untill I get some corn out then she turns in to a chicken on a mission .

Heres my RIR and Miss Pepperpot

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  2. littlequail21

littlequail21 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2011
    doesn't look like a australorp to me, they have White undersides to there feet, White Toenails, Pitch black and its Possible for Adult to have White tips on the end of tail feathers, They also will have a Nice Green shine to them.

3. ChickChickChicky

ChickChickChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2011
    Greater Kansas City, MO
    Your girl looks like an Australorp mixed with something else. Australorps have dark brown/black eyes, black feathers with an irridescent green shine, and their legs are darker in color. I don't know what's up with the blackish comb, though. As long as she seems healthy and is laying like that, I wouldn't worry TOO much!

4. peepacheep

peepacheep Chillin' With My Peeps

I think there is a term for this color comb, mulberry. I came across it on the Australorp breed thread awhile ago. You might want to also post your picture on that thread. One of my hatchery BA's had this coloring to her comb and wattles for some time. She is now 3 had there is no trace of the black shading any more. They are great layers!!!

5. Stormview

Stormview Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2011
    QUEENSLAND AUSTRALIA
    she look like a commercial layer you get from the produce.. like a hyline black
    she also has red eyes seen in many ofthe commercial black laying hens..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by