Is this a bad egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hj_frederick, Feb 27, 2013.

1. hj_frederick

hj_frederick New Egg

Dec 13, 2011
    This is a silkie egg that she has been sitting on for about 10-11 days. Looked at it 3-4 days ago (so day 7 or 8 I believe) and saw the yolk with very faint veins and a small black spot in the middle of the yolk. This is what the egg looked like today:

[​IMG][​IMG]

I apologize about the quality but hopefully you can see what I am talking about. 3/4 of the egg is dark and there is basically a straight line between the airsack and the opaque area. The egg sounds like there is something hard inside when I gently moved it back and forth. I see no movement or veins at all...just blackness. I found the egg in the middle of the coop today when I went to check on her so I do not know if she is rejecting the egg or if one of my other hens chased her out of her box and removed the egg. I placed the egg back under her when I found it. I really just want an opinion since I have seen changes inside the egg, I do not want to open it if there is a chance it may be viable. Thanks for any help you can give.

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    looks like chickie developing

3. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    i would say its alive and developing. I would keep! Make sure and mark the egg and stick it under her if she keeps rejecting eggs.

4. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I had one I was worried about recently, but I see it is growing and I did see veins.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by