is this a bad idea

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dan_grow, Aug 14, 2010.

1. dan_grow

dan_grow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    st. Louis
    I have 10 6week old chicks and i want to Introduce them to my hen who recently became crippled (her beak was broken) and cant do much damage when peck at them.
    the chicks have already meet her but through a cage and they would only be with the hen during the day.

also i cant put her with the flock because they peck at her open wound.

would it be a bad idea to stick her with the chicks.

2. BackToMyRoots

BackToMyRoots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Matthews, NC
    I might be worried that the chicks would peck at the wound as well. Maybe it would help to use that Blue Kote stuff I keep hearing about? I'm not sure I'm right, but it seemed like my chicks love to peck everything. I hope your hen's wound gets better and she can re-integrate with the flock.

3. dan_grow

dan_grow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    st. Louis
    good point ill go and buy some. but now the others seem to be attacking the other hen (a hen she used to walk around the yard with and the top hen)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I agree that the hen may be more at risk from the chicks than vice versa,

Sandie

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Chicks are very inquisitive and curious creatures, and can be very aggressive when given unrestrained freedom. I have a couple of two month olds that I permit in with my three-week olds from time to time because they're very docile and patient with their tiny sisters. However, because they are reluctant to peck back when the chicks boldly come up to them and peck them, sometimes I fear an older sister might get an eye pecked out.

Your older disabled hen would not be able to adequately protect herself, so I believe it would be a very bad idea to directly expose her to the chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by