Is this a Bantam Splash Ameraucana?

May 24, 2024
I purchased two silkies, one bantam green queen and one bantam splash ameraucana last Monday from a hatchery. They’re all supposed to be sexed females but when I was putting them in their brooder I noticed the Ameraucana is twice the size of the other three. I contacted the hatchery asking if maybe she had been subbed for a different breed by chance. The hatchery said she wasn’t subbed and that size difference between breeds is normal. However, when looking on their site the splash ameraucana bantam is listed as 26 oz full grown whereas the silkies and green queens are listed around 32 oz full grown.

Has anybody else had bantam splash ameraucanas? Are they normally much bigger than the others? She also seems to be quite the bully.

Thanks so much :)

Attachments

• 274E67F8-0F68-427F-B2C4-A852AEE51482.jpeg
    274E67F8-0F68-427F-B2C4-A852AEE51482.jpeg
    269.2 KB · Views: 41
  • D95E5229-2F20-4D3E-851F-9CFDF0403BDA.jpeg
    D95E5229-2F20-4D3E-851F-9CFDF0403BDA.jpeg
    325 KB · Views: 12
  • B12DA133-C5F3-45D4-A5A9-0CA601CE87BB.jpeg
    B12DA133-C5F3-45D4-A5A9-0CA601CE87BB.jpeg
    374.2 KB · Views: 12
The hatchery is giving you the runaround. Bantam chicks are indeed smaller than large fowl chicks, and Ameraucana bantams are smaller than Silkies.

In addition, the chick's coloring is pure white. I don't think it is even splash, but probably white or maybe wheaten instead.
Thank you. That’s what I was thinking. I tried to be nice in my original email asking if she had perhaps been subbed but they said no. Once they told me that size difference was normal, I responded that their own website shows them as being smaller than both the other breeds I had purchased. I didn’t get a response to my second email.

She does have some spots on her but there’s not many. If she is a full sized Ameraucana then theoretically I lucked out because they sell the bantam version cheaper. However, I keep my bantams separate from my standards so that will put a damper on things. She is already bullying the other babies too.

I guess you got them from Meyer? I'm wondering about my Steel egger bantam is a standard size one too. I got her to be a friend to my silkie but she's almost twice the size and is bigger than my buckeye and australop! Plus, they sent me a Buff silkie instead of the splash silkie I ordered. :hmm

Thank you. That’s what I was thinking. I tried to be nice in my original email asking if she had perhaps been subbed but they said no. Once they told me that size difference was normal, I responded that their own website shows them as being smaller than both the other breeds I had purchased. I didn’t get a response to my second email.

She does have some spots on her but there’s not many. If she is a full sized Ameraucana then theoretically I lucked out because they sell the bantam version cheaper. However, I keep my bantams separate from my standards so that will put a damper on things. She is already bullying the other babies too.
She might checked the order information that said you have a bantam. However, my order also said that I got a splash silkie, but I showed them a picture and they admitted it's a buff silkie.

I guess you got them from Meyer? I'm wondering about my Steel egger bantam is a standard size one too. I got her to be a friend to my silkie but she's almost twice the size and is bigger than my buckeye and australop! Plus, they sent me a Buff silkie instead of the splash silkie I ordered. :hmm
Yep. That’s exactly where I got them from. If she is standard sized, I can make it work but I would appreciate if they at least admitted they had made a mistake. I had really bad luck with my last batch from them, one polish died within 24 hours and my green queen turned out to be a roo but I figured it happens and took the loss but now this.

She might checked the order information that said you have a bantam. However, my order also said that I got a splash silkie, but I showed them a picture and they admitted it's a buff silkie.
That was my original thought. I’d sent photos with my first email and she said it looks like an Ameraucana and size difference between breeds is normal. But then I responded with a second email explaining that size difference is normal but their own website shows them as being smaller than both of the other breeds I’d purchased and they never responded. I just sent a follow up email with another picture showing the difference in feet size so hopefully they acknowledge it this time.

I'm waiting for my chicks growing up to see if my steele egger is really a bantam or not. I ordered two silkies but the white silkie failed to thrive, so my buff silkie needs a bantam friend. She does keep up with all other big girls so far though.

I'm waiting for my chicks growing up to see if my steele egger is really a bantam or not. I ordered two silkies but the white silkie failed to thrive, so my buff silkie needs a bantam friend. She does keep up with all other big girls so far though.
I’m sorry about your little white silkie. That’s what I’ll be doing with my Ameraucana but I’m impatient so I was hoping to see if maybe others had gotten bantams that were big at hatch but ended up being small. My polish, although not a bantam does really well with my standard chickens so hopefully they won’t be too hard on your little buff.

Back
Top Bottom