Is this a bee sting, or infectuous bronchitis?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by andythescot, Jun 3, 2010.

1. andythescot

andythescot Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    Hello, my two-month old BO seems to either have a bee sting, or infectuous bronchitis. She has the swollen eye and everything, but has a bloody spot where her "eyebrow" would be. Her behavior seems normal. I have already isolated her from the flock and I have called my feed store to see if they carry the vaccine... I left a message. I also washed the spot a little with a paper towel soaked with warm water.

Here is her good side:

[​IMG]

Here is her bad side:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. babsbag

babsbag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    Anderson, CA
    I have no experience with bronchitis, but I do raise bees. That would be one heck of a sting. It looks more like a puncture wound to me, with maybe a local infection or perhaps the swelling is just from the injury. Maybe she got pecked by a flock mate. I would look more closely at the wound/bite and try and clean it.

Good luck

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It looks more like a puncture and it looks infected. Could she have poked her brow on a nail sticking out somewhere or maybe a piece of chicken wire sticking out somewhere? Also do you have a full grown hen or roo that may have jumped on her and poked her with a toenail or something along those lines? Try to clean the wound as best you can and apply neosporin. Your hen may need an antibiotic injection too, but I'm not sure which antibiotic. Maybe someone else can help you in that respect.

4. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Does she have some kind of goop thing in her mouth? I can't tell from that picture if it's something in the background, or inside her mouth.

5. andythescot

andythescot Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    The stuff on her mouth is just mud, she was scratching around with the other girls before I caught her. I have no older bird, she is one of my oldest ones actually, [​IMG]

It could have been a puncture, I still have some fixer upping to do on the hen house, there are a few exposed screws inside, and there is some exposed chicken wire... That could have been it too.
    I have her isolated from the others right now in a "hospital coop," in case what she has, if it isn't just an injury, is contagious.. and in case the others peck her.
    I also made an appointment for her to go to a vet tomorrow, since our feed store if pretty poorly stocked.

Thanks for all your help!%2Pr

6. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    OK, that's good about the mud! I was worried there was some infection in her mouth - which can happen.

Clean that wound as best you can with a saline solution. Then apply some neosporin, or dab it throughly with q-tip saturated with iodine. Good on getting her to a vet, too. Good luck with it.

7. Jesseschickens

Jesseschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    Was she any where she could have gotten into thorns

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by