Is this a blood ring?

ChickAsThieves

Songster
8 Years
Apr 13, 2014
Northeast
First time hatching. I've got 3 eggs in the incubator. It's day 8 and 2 of the eggs are very clearly viable and moving around. This egg was a bit dirty to start with, but since I only had 2 others I put it in. I know it started to develop, but now I can't see an embryo moving and it has a very definitive line in it. Is this poor little guy toast?

Well, I can't see the typical blood ring in the pictures (it doesn't mean it's not there though). Considering it's day 8, the egg should be more developed though. I usually leave eggs like this in the incubator until day 12-14 when you can be sure about whether it's good or not. Some eggs have thicker and darker colored shells and are harder to see through properly.

Thanks for your response. I put it back in the bator after that candling because I would hate to dispose of it until I'm entirely sure, but it certainly didn't present the same way the other two eggs did. I gave it a sniff and it smells fine, so hopefully I'm not putting the other two eggs at risk if this is a quitter.

I looked at A LOT of pictures of blood rings last night, and you're right, it doesn't have a typical blood ring appearance. It just doesn't have the visible eye and movement that the other two eggs have. I guess I'll candle again on day 12 and see where it's at.
idunno.gif

I loathe the candler I have. So much light leaks out the bottom and it gets hot really fast, so I don't have a decent amount of time to really look closely. I'm going to make a candling box this weekend, which should improve clarity and minimize handling of the egg in the future.

I didn't have high hopes for this egg when I set it, and I was psyched when it started to develop. Wahh.
hit.gif

I loathe the candler I have. So much light leaks out the bottom and it gets hot really fast, so I don't have a decent amount of time to really look closely. I'm going to make a candling box this weekend, which should improve clarity and minimize handling of the egg in the future.

I didn't have high hopes for this egg when I set it, and I was psyched when it started to develop. Wahh.
hit.gif
I just use a nice bright flashlight and wrap my hand around the top and egg as I hold it.

I tried using my phone last night and it was awkward. If I ever dropped an egg and killed a viable chick I would be inconsolable!

Update: We are now on day 11. My wonderful other half made me a candling box today and we tried it out tonight. It's MUCH brighter than the candler I was using before. The egg that I thought was not developing is alive and wiggling around!
yesss.gif
Just a good reminder not to give up on your eggs too soon!

Back
Top Bottom