Is this a blood ring?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmandaKyle, Mar 1, 2017.

1. AmandaKyle

AmandaKyle Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Northeast
    First time hatching. I've got 3 eggs in the incubator. It's day 8 and 2 of the eggs are very clearly viable and moving around. This egg was a bit dirty to start with, but since I only had 2 others I put it in. I know it started to develop, but now I can't see an embryo moving and it has a very definitive line in it. Is this poor little guy toast?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. br0nc0

br0nc0 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2017
    Slovenia
    Well, I can't see the typical blood ring in the pictures (it doesn't mean it's not there though). Considering it's day 8, the egg should be more developed though. I usually leave eggs like this in the incubator until day 12-14 when you can be sure about whether it's good or not. Some eggs have thicker and darker colored shells and are harder to see through properly.

3. AmandaKyle

Apr 13, 2014
    Northeast
    Thanks for your response. I put it back in the bator after that candling because I would hate to dispose of it until I'm entirely sure, but it certainly didn't present the same way the other two eggs did. I gave it a sniff and it smells fine, so hopefully I'm not putting the other two eggs at risk if this is a quitter.

I looked at A LOT of pictures of blood rings last night, and you're right, it doesn't have a typical blood ring appearance. It just doesn't have the visible eye and movement that the other two eggs have. I guess I'll candle again on day 12 and see where it's at. [​IMG]

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I agree. While I don't see a bloodring, but neither do I see development.

5. AmandaKyle

Apr 13, 2014
    Northeast
    I loathe the candler I have. So much light leaks out the bottom and it gets hot really fast, so I don't have a decent amount of time to really look closely. I'm going to make a candling box this weekend, which should improve clarity and minimize handling of the egg in the future.

I didn't have high hopes for this egg when I set it, and I was psyched when it started to develop. Wahh. [​IMG]

6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I just use a nice bright flashlight and wrap my hand around the top and egg as I hold it.

7. br0nc0

br0nc0 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2017
    Slovenia
    I use my phone, it's surprisingly effective :D

8. AmandaKyle

Apr 13, 2014
    Northeast
    I tried using my phone last night and it was awkward. If I ever dropped an egg and killed a viable chick I would be inconsolable!

9. AmandaKyle

Apr 13, 2014
    Northeast
    Oh, troll is gone!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  10. AmandaKyle

Apr 13, 2014
    Northeast
    Update: We are now on day 11. My wonderful other half made me a candling box today and we tried it out tonight. It's MUCH brighter than the candler I was using before. The egg that I thought was not developing is alive and wiggling around! [​IMG] Just a good reminder not to give up on your eggs too soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by