Is this a blue or a black?pics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by luvchicks8, Aug 28, 2010.

1. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    I was sold this baby as a blue cochin her coloring throws me off. Somtimes she looks greyish to me other times black. She is my son's best friend I swear, we love her to death but not sure of coloring. I am trying to get a little better quality show birds for 4h, i bought her at a show she was the baby of the Best in show chicken blueberry who was stunning.

Here she looks like she is a blue
    [​IMG]

Here is a chest shot she looks black
    [​IMG]

Her foot feathering looks good I think
    [​IMG]
    unfortanate in this shot the glare from the camera shows on her back
    [​IMG]
    I know she is very young but I will take any thoughts on her breed type.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  2. apc

apc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Chickland, Il
    I have a rooster that is like this. Look at the down color, i bet she is just a really really dark blue. [​IMG]

3. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    yes this bird is blue, blue can vary in shade. But the one on the right may change alot with age. [​IMG] [​IMG] Very cute....both of them!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  4. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    I know nothing about breed type, but she's most definitely without a doubt a blue. Even in the pictures where she looks darker, she's still clearly a dark blue to me rather than black. Blue is one of those colors that can run the gamut from very pale gray to almost indistinguishable from black unless they are standing right next to a black animal.

5. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Oh great thanks everyone she was making me nervous. Hopefully she will be a great show bird for my 9 year old next year if not she is stil fabulous:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by