Is this a bruise? Call duck egg day 25.

Aw! I hope his leg gets better. Any name yet for him?
Yea I have decided to name him peepers. He was up most of the night trying escape the cup and peeping. He did not get much sleep. He keeps trying to get out and run around but falls asleep while doing so... I tried to feed him scrambled eggs but he kept falling asleep. I told him to rest for a while and then I will try the food a second time. He took a tiny drop of nutridrench. He won't sleep :th

Yea I have decided to name him peepers. He was up most of the night trying escape the cup and peeping. He did not get much sleep. He keeps trying to get out and run around but falls asleep while doing so... I tried to feed him scrambled eggs but he kept falling asleep. I told him to rest for a while and then I will try the food a second time. He took a tiny drop of nutridrench. He won't sleep :th
Do you have a brooder set up for him?
Give him a little mirror and something to snuggle like a stuffed sock or small stuffed animal.
He needs to be under a heat lamp.
You can use a regular chick waterer and put some marbles or small rocks in it so that if he falls head first into it he should be able to get back up and not drown. If it is able to jump out of the cup and try to follow you around it should be able to get around to eat and drink. The little things can get dehydrated very fast so I would start trying to get it to eat and drink as soon as possible at this point.

Still can't get him to eat yet. :hmm
Not sure what to try next. I did put a drip of water on the side of his bill and he swallowed it. But he is not interested in food.

Do you have a brooder set up for him?
Give him a little mirror and something to snuggle like a stuffed sock or small stuffed animal.
He needs to be under a heat lamp.
You can use a regular chick waterer and put some marbles or small rocks in it so that if he falls head first into it he should be able to get back up and not drown. If it is able to jump out of the cup and try to follow you around it should be able to get around to eat and drink. The little things can get dehydrated very fast so I would start trying to get it to eat and drink as soon as possible at this point.
Yes, he is under a heat lamp. :) in a brooder
I am setting up a waterer right now with some rocks in it. I will let you know how it goes. I am also going to put a dish of some crumbles soaked in water. Thanks for the advice.

Here's what I do to encourage eating and drinking.
Sort of how they would watch their mother eat and drink and learn from her,
I just take my finger and tap on the food and then tap on the water going back and forth. Get a little food on your finger and put it near its bill and see if it will take a bite.
I toss little crumbles out onto the brooder floor for investigation. Once you get them to take that first bite it seems like then they realize it's food. then by going back and forth between the food and the water they start to realize where the food comes from.

Back
Top Bottom