is this a buff brahma rooster????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ReiMiraa, Dec 8, 2009.

1. ReiMiraa

ReiMiraa Chillin' With My Peeps

i got this chick in the spring free from someone who moved. he has yellow feathered feet. he is a handsom guy. and his comb in really different. i thought he is a buff brahma but after looking at some pics i am not too sure. he is already getting his spurs in. almost 1/4 of an inch. he has a very nice 'mane' i keep thinking of him as a lion chicken with how he shows off his neck feathers.

[​IMG]

2. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    He is a hatchery quality buff brahma.

3. ReiMiraa

is that a good or a bad thing????
    he is the only roo i have and i have a white brahma hen i am thinking of crossing in the spring.... there are many different hens i could cross him with.... he guards his flock well.

4. Krodsorin

Krodsorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2009
    NSW Australia
    Quote:White brahma or light brahma?

5. Krodsorin

Krodsorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2009
    NSW Australia
    Quote:Hatchery quality means you couldn't really show him, as he doesn't quite meet the breeds standards

6. ReiMiraa

my hen is light i suppose ( i feel they should call it white....) i call her Pidgin because she looked like one.

odd i consider my roo quite handsome. my mom thinks so too. and when i went to the county fair and looked around... mine still looked more filled out and better feathered....
    I am thinking of incubating the eggs in the spring... i am curious what kind of a cross this would produce?
    Here is Pidgin. this was taken a few months ago... she has since filled out pretty well.
    [​IMG]

This is my roo. I call him Stupid... because of how he acts.... but the way he shows off hid mane i am thinking of changing it to lion when he is older.....
    [​IMG]

7. BCCFarm

BCCFarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2009
    BCC Arizona
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Your light brahma hen is pretty and so is your buff brahma roo. The feathers around his neck that he raises are called his hackle feathers. Ever heard the expression, don't get your hackles up?
    Nothing wrong with hatchery quality birds for a backyard flock. I have a *very nice* dark brahma rooster that's hatchery quality and would give any brahma roo at the county fair a run for his money. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  9. natkev

natkev Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2009
    Central Coast
    buff brahma

10. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    They sure are pretty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by