is this a chicken??

Aww Chicken Little is so cute! I love silkies as many of us here do!

I also love how there are so many PARROT toys in his cage! I raise parrots here and have that same mirror but in Orange my color, that talks back to the birds, with parrots they often bond to the bird in the mirror.

Silkie feathers are like hair, unlike other chickens, so when they get wet it just soaks into there feathers. (not good) Just be sure Chicken Little stays dry.

I feed my chickens a diet of fresh veggies, IE Peas, Lettuce, Greens, Fruits, Apples, Sliced Grapes etc. and a main diet of Layer Crumble found at feed stores. Look around your area for local feed stores (I hope by now you have your Chicken Little on a diet of chicken food, but if not hope this helps) Along with the food, I feed them Cracked Corn/Scratch, you can also buy at the feed stores, the corn if fed a lot can be fattening. I mix my food with the corn, they always pick the corn out first. Its like CANDY to them!

And of course fresh water.

Also at your feed store they will have feeders and water's. I don't remember seeing what you are using for the drinking system but you may consider trying to get Chicken Little to drink for water bottles like Rabbit Water Bottles, in the pen this may keep the pen dry and the water cleaner.

The feeders will hold more food then the little cups you have hung on the cage (I have those too for seed for my parrots) they do work nicely for when they are just being filled up everyday, but if you are gone 10+ days at a time, a poultry feeder may hold more for you!
Your cups would work great for fresh foods, and meal worms and other yummy chicken treats! Also grit!

You may have put Chicken Little out in your grass to graze, chicken love to eat the tops off new grass, and find bug hidden in the grass. Also digging around in the dirt for bugs they often eat some dirt which can act like grit for them. They often need the grit to break down the food in there crops, (crop-a sack you can feel in the chest of your chicken after he eats)

I like the person earlier in the thread mentioning chicken diapers! I have sold and re homed a lot of chickens and ducks, babies and adults for indoor pets! I know a few people who have a chick or two or duck or two who live in there house and do the daily routines with them, some of them even sleep on the foot of the bed! I also know a gal who has pet turkeys TURKEYS! Who do the same, sleep in the house on the COUCH and who come to visit them in there bed, ducks who come and jump up on the bed in the AM to wake momma up.
I think Chicken Little would be perfectly happy going back to be a house chicken if he was so good about not crapping all over your house, why not?

As much as I would really recommend Chicken Little a hen, someone to take chicken to, and also make you an omlet! I would never say its not a good idea unless it really wasn't. I think it is a good idea, but you don't HAVE to, Chicken Little has bonded to you, and your cat, he probably does not know any different. I also don't think it would be a mistake playing match maker and finding him a girlfriend. Be for to long you may become his girlfriend too! Hope your ready to let him have his way with your boot!
gig.gif

There is so much more I feel I am forgetting but I just wanted to get you some bit of adive on actual care.
Hopefully now someone else will chime in with more helpful information.

And again, you have the sweetest chicken story I have heard yet!

The downside to a "girlfriend" is that his personality will change. He will stop thinking he is a person and suddenly realize he is a roo!!

Back
Top Bottom