Is this a cockerel??

jhc625

Hatching
May 18, 2015
Central Texas
We are embarking on the new experience of backyard chickens. We have a mixed breed flock which are 3 week old. All are doing really well, however our Barred Plymoth Rock looks a little masculine to me :) She/he has been on of the more assertive of the bunch and now I'm noticing his comb growing and changing faster than the other 10. I've attached a picture to see if anyone has any opinions?

newmarch2014

Songster
5 Years
Mar 27, 2014
I am not experienced with Barred Rocks but that is a lot of comb development for any 3 week old. I would lean toward rooster from that single pic but the other indicators are : Thicker legs and a more upright stance so also some helpful clues to watch for. Sexing is only 90% accurate on the BEST day so if he is the only one that turns out to be a rooster you are doing great. I only got 4 from the pullet bin this year and STILL got a Brahma rooster....
he.gif

Rowsdower

Songster
7 Years
May 27, 2012
We are embarking on the new experience of backyard chickens. We have a mixed breed flock which are 3 week old. All are doing really well, however our Barred Plymoth Rock looks a little masculine to me
smile.png
She/he has been on of the more assertive of the bunch and now I'm noticing his comb growing and changing faster than the other 10. I've attached a picture to see if anyone has any opinions?

In the case of barred rocks, a pic (in natural or white light) of the plumage is more helpful. From the little bit of feathers that I can see, it looks like a pullet to me. But I would have to see a better pic to be sure.

nchls school

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Tennessee
We are embarking on the new experience of backyard chickens. We have a mixed breed flock which are 3 week old. All are doing really well, however our Barred Plymoth Rock looks a little masculine to me
smile.png
She/he has been on of the more assertive of the bunch and now I'm noticing his comb growing and changing faster than the other 10. I've attached a picture to see if anyone has any opinions?

A fast growing comb does indicate that the bird is a rooster, but at 3 weeks of age? I have 14 chicks just over 2 weeks and there isn't any with a larger comb. What age was it when you noticed the larger comb. Of course each variety is going to develop differently.

wvhomesteader

In the Brooder
May 5, 2015
I think it looks like a pullet.
I have 11 chicks now that are around the same age and your chick's comb looks small.

I'm not an expert by any means but it looks female IMO.

Rowsdower

Songster
7 Years
May 27, 2012
Thank you! What is most "telling" to you? Just for my own future knowledge :)

A cockerel at that age would be a lot more white and the barring more defined. That, combined with the beautiful dark wash that she has over her legs and the tight head spot all point to pullet. I always tell people that barred rock cockerels LOOK like barred rocks almost from the start, pullets not so much.

Here's a great thread with lots of pics for comparison: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/643481/sexing-barred-rocks

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom