Is this a cockerel??

jhc625

Hatching
May 18, 2015
Central Texas
We are embarking on the new experience of backyard chickens. We have a mixed breed flock which are 3 week old. All are doing really well, however our Barred Plymoth Rock looks a little masculine to me :) She/he has been on of the more assertive of the bunch and now I'm noticing his comb growing and changing faster than the other 10. I've attached a picture to see if anyone has any opinions?

I am not experienced with Barred Rocks but that is a lot of comb development for any 3 week old. I would lean toward rooster from that single pic but the other indicators are : Thicker legs and a more upright stance so also some helpful clues to watch for. Sexing is only 90% accurate on the BEST day so if he is the only one that turns out to be a rooster you are doing great. I only got 4 from the pullet bin this year and STILL got a Brahma rooster....
he.gif

We are embarking on the new experience of backyard chickens. We have a mixed breed flock which are 3 week old. All are doing really well, however our Barred Plymoth Rock looks a little masculine to me
smile.png
She/he has been on of the more assertive of the bunch and now I'm noticing his comb growing and changing faster than the other 10. I've attached a picture to see if anyone has any opinions?

In the case of barred rocks, a pic (in natural or white light) of the plumage is more helpful. From the little bit of feathers that I can see, it looks like a pullet to me. But I would have to see a better pic to be sure.

We are embarking on the new experience of backyard chickens. We have a mixed breed flock which are 3 week old. All are doing really well, however our Barred Plymoth Rock looks a little masculine to me
smile.png
She/he has been on of the more assertive of the bunch and now I'm noticing his comb growing and changing faster than the other 10. I've attached a picture to see if anyone has any opinions?

A fast growing comb does indicate that the bird is a rooster, but at 3 weeks of age? I have 14 chicks just over 2 weeks and there isn't any with a larger comb. What age was it when you noticed the larger comb. Of course each variety is going to develop differently.

I think it looks like a pullet.
I have 11 chicks now that are around the same age and your chick's comb looks small.

I'm not an expert by any means but it looks female IMO.

Thank you! What is most "telling" to you? Just for my own future knowledge :)

A cockerel at that age would be a lot more white and the barring more defined. That, combined with the beautiful dark wash that she has over her legs and the tight head spot all point to pullet. I always tell people that barred rock cockerels LOOK like barred rocks almost from the start, pullets not so much.

Here's a great thread with lots of pics for comparison: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/643481/sexing-barred-rocks

Back
Top Bottom