Is this a comb fungus?

miniwarrior

Chirping
Feb 16, 2008
Austin, TX
A few of my chickens have been developing some scabby spots with small lesions on their combs and some on one of their wattles. Does this look like a fungus or favus? They are completely healthy otherwise, except they have the occasional sneeze I've noticed.... Any help or advise on what this is and how to cure it (preferably low cost and home-remedies) would be greatly appreciated!!! Also, should I isolate them from the rest of the girls?

Thank you!!!

(sorry the pics are so huge- I couldn't figure out how to make them appear smaller)

IMG_1174.jpg

IMG_1176.jpg

IMG_1177.jpg

I found this info online:

Fowl Pox
Another viral infection of birds is fowl pox. This disease
is spread by biting insects and sometimes by fighting. The
virus enters the body through a scratch or scrape, and
raised scabs form on the scratch and surrounding areas
particularly noticeable on the combs and wattles. Scabs
can also form in the mouth and throat. Most cases improve
without treatment, although some birds become ill from
secondary infection. Birds that recover are immune for
life.
Prevention is again the best idea, and vaccination is
available, although this may need to be done every few
years to give complete protection.

http://www.poultryhelp.com/blackspots.html

Last edited:
Could be just pecking and it is healing? My banty roo decided to take on our new roo and needless to say held his own but came out with a lot of comb owies and it kinda looks like yours does.

This is why I LOVE this forum! I just went out to the chicken coop and found the exact same spots on our RIR. I started to panic, but am relaxing now that I've found this post. Mosquitoes are soooo bad here right now in FL. All of the tropical storms, rain bands from hurricanes - it's been a rainy, yucky summer. Mosquito heaven! I hope your hens get better soon, warriorchick. Thank you so much for your post!!

**btw, I absolutely adore your avatar warriorchick!!

Last edited:
smores.eragon.willymom :

This is why I LOVE this forum! I just went out to the chicken coop and found the exact same spots on our RIR. I started to panic, but am relaxing now that I've found this post. Mosquitoes are soooo bad here right now in FL. All of the tropical storms, rain bands from hurricanes - it's been a rainy, yucky summer. Mosquito heaven! I hope your hens get better soon, warriorchick. Thank you so much for your post!!

**btw, I absolutely adore your avatar warriorchick!!

There is a vaccination that is reccommended for people in humid climates with lots of mosquitos. I would reccommed you do that.

I had one of my roosters get it this year. So I quarantined him, and only he got it, and it is clearing up now. Its almost gone.​

Back
Top Bottom