Is this a creepy question??

silkiechick05

Songster
10 Years
Sep 27, 2009
North Texas
okay, so just to start off, i am a newbie when it comes to chickens, so if this is a really really DUMB question, please straighten me out..

i have three silkie chicks who are not able to be sexed yet. i would hate to have to give away any roosters i may have, but can't have little babies running around.

and my parents want to eat their eggs.

so, if an egg is fertile, and you collect/refrigerate the eggs, could you eat them??

or is that weird/creepy/immoral, etc.

LOL thanks for any advice you give!!!

With 2 roos here we eat fertilized eggs every day.
big_smile.png

Yes you can eat fertile eggs. You won't be able to tell any difference for non-fertile eggs. And it's not a dumb or creepy question.

Imp- some of the questions I ask, on the other hand.
hu.gif

I agree...not a creepy question...now where those eggs come from...that is kinda creepy! What were chickens thinking! They need a special clean non poop place for eggs to come from!

Just don't eat the ones they have sat on for a week
sickbyc.gif
unless you like that Phillopeano (that ain't right) dish...which is totally okay if you do...(it still nasty under my breath)
wink.png

Ditto! With 8 (not for much longer) roos around here that's all we have. There's no difference in taste or texture. Just collect them daily and you won't have any problems.

Silkies like to go broody though so if one of your girls hides a nest and sits on it for a couple of days before you find it you're going to want to take a pass on those eggs.

Uh, everyone who has a rooster eats fertilized eggs all the time. You can still have a rooster and not have babies. Just collect the eggs every day. If you get a broody hen which you could still have even without a rooster, you can try and break her of her broodyness or just take her eggs and she'll eventually get over it.

BTW I don't wan't to freak you out even more, but refridgerating fertilized eggs doesn't necessarily make them "infertile" anymore. Some people refridgerate their fertile eggs and then put them under a hen or in an incubator and they do still hatch! They tend to hatch all at once that way.

Fertile eggs are supposed to be healthier than infertile, just collect daily so you don't end up with any "egg surprises" some morning at breakfast and having a roo or two won't be any problem!

Back
Top Bottom