IS THIS A dwarf DUCK

Could be some soft of genetic abnormality, but that "bowed inward-leg" looks similar to how a niacin deficiency duckling would look. You may read, and do this treatment in this thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

That description sounds exactly like Gimpy! I started him on niacin this morning. I dissolved a niacin pill in some water and fed him dipped lettuce. I didn't notice any dislike of the taste. In fact, all 4 ducklings fought over the dipped leaves. I think Gimpy ate niacin dipped lettuce until he was stuffed. Being 2 weeks old already, I expect it may take another 2 weeks to see if there is an improvement.

That description sounds exactly like Gimpy! I started him on niacin this morning. I dissolved a niacin pill in some water and fed him dipped lettuce. I didn't notice any dislike of the taste. In fact, all 4 ducklings fought over the dipped leaves. I think Gimpy ate niacin dipped lettuce until he was stuffed. Being 2 weeks old already, I expect it may take another 2 weeks to see if there is an improvement.

Please do read the whole thread too, people often miss the part not to use flush free, time-released, extended-release, niacin capsules.

Keep us updated!

Please do read the whole thread too, people often miss the part not to use flush free, time-released, extended-release, niacin capsules.

Keep us updated!
Even after only 2 days of niacin supplementation, I could see a marked improvement. Gimpy's shanks had filled out and grown thick like normal ducklings. After the 3rd dose, I let the ducklings out into the yard for some supervised exploring. Gimpy's legs were not so bowed, but still not as straight as the other ducklings. And he wasn't tripping over his own feet anymore. He kept up with the other ducklings. A remarkable improvement!

I wonder why one duckling got a nutritional deficiency when they were all under the same conditions?

Even after only 2 days of niacin supplementation, I could see a marked improvement. Gimpy's shanks had filled out and grown thick like normal ducklings. After the 3rd dose, I let the ducklings out into the yard for some supervised exploring. Gimpy's legs were not so bowed, but still not as straight as the other ducklings. And he wasn't tripping over his own feet anymore. He kept up with the other ducklings. A remarkable improvement!
A331DF3C-E745-466B-90F7-83C75B9307AD.jpeg
After 6 days of niacin supplements, you can see how Gimpy, the yellow duckling in this video, is pulling his hocks closer to his flanks as he walks. And his legs are increasIng in strength.

Gimpy is 3 weeks old now. I have fed him lettuce dipped in niacin every day for 2 weeks. His delicate legs thickened and grew strong. His hocks are now pulled in to his flanks like normal. He doesn’t walk “pigeon toed” anymore. He looks like a normal Pekín duckling now. How long Shall I continue the niacin supplements?

Attachments

• 357F6FAB-3512-4A7E-AFDC-BA78E1C7D31A.jpeg
    357F6FAB-3512-4A7E-AFDC-BA78E1C7D31A.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Here is Gimpy the Duck at 9 weeks old with some of her nest mates.
He turned into a she. She is walking like a normal duck. There is no detectable residual deformity. She is completely normal looking now. The niacin treatment worked splendidly! Thanks!!!!

Attachments

• Gimpy the Duck.jpg
    Gimpy the Duck.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom