Is this a female or male chick? Hatched on the 8th.

This is the blue silkie.

Welcome to BYC. I'm glad you decided to join our flock. Even older Silkie chicks are notoriously difficult to sex and yours to too young to sex from a photo. I would suggest posting its pic again in about 2 months in our What Breed or Gender is This? section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this and let our experts there take a look at it. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your Silkie.

You could post the photo on the "Silkie thread," but, as Michael has explained silkies are extremely difficult to sex. Sometimes at 4-5 mos. you can tell but, often it is not until they either crow or lay eggs. That is one reason it is best NOT to buy silkies at a young age.

Welcome!
frow.gif

Whether your chick is a male or a female, it sure is cute.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Cute chick! It is too young to tell gender on it, especially with Silkies. Sometimes, Silkie gender becomes more obvious at 10-12 weeks of age. However, many times you don't know until the bird crows or lays--Silkies are notoriously difficult to sex.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I agree with Bantamlover21. Your Silkie chick is too young to tell gender. Post more photos when "it" is at least 6-8 weeks old. For now, good luck with the chick!

Back
Top Bottom