Is this a female?

In my opinion the female head shape is narrow and will fit between two parallel lines. The tom's head shape is more of a pentagram, broader at the front.

Toms will develop their caruncles sooner and bigger than a hen's caruncles. These are the bumps near the base of the throat below the wattle.

At 2 months old toms can grow their wattle before the hens do but the hens will catch up quickly.

I believe you are thinking of the snood which on adult toms can swell very big and hang well below the end of the beak. I have not noticed that the size of the snood on young poults means anything.
*pentagon
Wow, very interesting!
Of my broad-breasted young turkeys, I thought we had three hens and two toms, until a “hen” gobbled!
36F52644-9FF0-4915-8281-D90A07AF42D7.jpeg

All those naysayers out there saying hens don’t strut ir gobble…I have video proof of mama hen doing both and her babies imitating. Mama does it when anything else is around (I have a mixed flock of turkeys, ducks and geese). She especially does it to her daughter from an earlier hatch. They get into strutting matches and the tom has to break them up lol.
I found this post to see details on sexing weeks old poults. The older one is a hen, but as she was hatched and raised by the flock and free ranges, she is an amazing, intelligent bird. She chases off the cats by herself as she’s faster than the gander. Only two hatched from her clutch and her sibling was eaten by a snake so I wasn’t able to compare.
The end of June clutch hatched six, but one died overnight. The remaining five I am able to observe closely for differences. Strutting is a no-go as the bigger four all do it. Rio the runt doesn’t strut and when I catch her does the submissive neck down/eyes closed thing, but I’m not sure if it’s just because it’s smaller/weaker and has a gimpy foot.
Two of the others, Nairobi and Denver (so despite mom being black-based and dad a RP, I didn’t get sex linked as fun as that would’ve been) have caruncles developing low on their neck. Tail length, Tokyo seems to have the longest but no caruncles. Snood size is all identical at this age as well. All just over 6 weeks old now.
So caruncles = male? Bob the older hen didn’t have caruncles at this age that I remember.

Attachments

• IMG_5835.jpeg
    IMG_5835.jpeg
    721.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5874.jpeg
    IMG_5874.jpeg
    781 KB · Views: 5
All those naysayers out there saying hens don’t strut ir gobble…I have video proof of mama hen doing both and her babies imitating. Mama does it when anything else is around (I have a mixed flock of turkeys, ducks and geese). She especially does it to her daughter from an earlier hatch. They get into strutting matches and the tom has to break them up lol.
I found this post to see details on sexing weeks old poults. The older one is a hen, but as she was hatched and raised by the flock and free ranges, she is an amazing, intelligent bird. She chases off the cats by herself as she’s faster than the gander. Only two hatched from her clutch and her sibling was eaten by a snake so I wasn’t able to compare.
The end of June clutch hatched six, but one died overnight. The remaining five I am able to observe closely for differences. Strutting is a no-go as the bigger four all do it. Rio the runt doesn’t strut and when I catch her does the submissive neck down/eyes closed thing, but I’m not sure if it’s just because it’s smaller/weaker and has a gimpy foot.
Two of the others, Nairobi and Denver (so despite mom being black-based and dad a RP, I didn’t get sex linked as fun as that would’ve been) have caruncles developing low on their neck. Tail length, Tokyo seems to have the longest but no caruncles. Snood size is all identical at this age as well. All just over 6 weeks old now.
So caruncles = male? Bob the older hen didn’t have caruncles at this age that I remember.
I used to have a hen who would strut.

Updated pics, 9 weeks on Monday. Some observations: the first I noticed caruncles low on the neck after 5 weeks I suspect of being female (Nairobi and Denver). All have a dot in the back of the leg (spur bumps?). Nairobi will do the neck down submission when I pick her? up. The two RPs are flightier and harder to catch. Head shape I’m not sure what I’m looking for, but the suspected males (Tokyo and Moscú) seem uglier lol and to have longer tails that have developed dark bars on the long tail feathers the other don’t have or have yet. Legs on Tokyo are stockier, but still not a big difference.
Anyway, comments appreciated on which is male/female:

Attachments

• IMG_5961.jpeg
    IMG_5961.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5960.jpeg
    IMG_5960.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5958.jpeg
    IMG_5958.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5957.jpeg
    IMG_5957.jpeg
    585.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5956.jpeg
    IMG_5956.jpeg
    732.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5955.jpeg
    IMG_5955.jpeg
    728.4 KB · Views: 5
Update: 14 weeks old now (June 26). I sold the RP poults and only have the Narr ones now (hen poult will be for Thanksgiving and male will continue on to add color to the flock unless he’s a jerk). I think there is one of each, but am showing comparison pics here trying to include head and tails.
First pic is a two month old strut of suspected male when I introduced new adult hens, everybirdy got worked up.
Second pic is with April 8 hatch full sibling, Narr hen. Other pics are them chilling and hopefully show on the right-hen? And back left-tom? Normally I can’t tell snood length difference. Tom tail has always seemed longer and straight back, color more smudged. Hen developed caruncles earlier, seems to still have tiny feathers on head, tail more paddle shaped and hangs down and color more defined.

Attachments

• IMG_5987.jpeg
    IMG_5987.jpeg
    477.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6101.jpeg
    IMG_6101.jpeg
    783.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6108.jpeg
    IMG_6108.jpeg
    927.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6109.jpeg
    IMG_6109.jpeg
    952 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6110.jpeg
    IMG_6110.jpeg
    928.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6111.jpeg
    IMG_6111.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 2
Update: 14 weeks old now (June 26). I sold the RP poults and only have the Narr ones now (hen poult will be for Thanksgiving and male will continue on to add color to the flock unless he’s a jerk). I think there is one of each, but am showing comparison pics here trying to include head and tails.
First pic is a two month old strut of suspected male when I introduced new adult hens, every birdy got worked up.
Second pic is with April 8 hatch full sibling, Narr hen. Other pics are them chilling and hopefully show on the right-hen? And back left-tom? Normally I can’t tell snood length difference. Tom tail has always seemed longer and straight back, color more smudged. Hen developed caruncles earlier, seems to still have tiny feathers on head, tail more paddle shaped and hangs down and color more defined.
I never pay any attention to the tail feathers when sexing turkeys.

For identifying sex of turkeys from photos, include 3 photos of each bird separately.

1. Full frontal picture.
2. Full side picture.
3. Photo from above and behind showing the back of the neck and top of the head.

All photos must be clear and well focused. Blurry photos because of missed focus and/or motion blur have no value.

Back
Top Bottom