Is this a Franklin or a Frances?

UncleChuck

Chirping
Aug 22, 2023
NW Florida
So we named this bird Fancy Frankie at 2 weeks and it has always been a little weird. We've been pretty sure that it's a Frances for over a month. Well, for about a week its been fluffing up and chasing the other cockerells. The past two days it has started pecking me whenever i try to pet it (up until that point it was one of the sweetest birds in the clutch) and this morning it crowed in my face. Obviously it's either a Franklin or an honorable dinner guest.
My question is, what mistakes did I make and what physical tells did I miss when we thought it was a hen?

Attachments

• 20230827_062159.jpg
    20230827_062159.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230827_062205.jpg
    20230827_062205.jpg
    590.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230827_062220.jpg
    20230827_062220.jpg
    550.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230827_062252.jpg
    20230827_062252.jpg
    507.9 KB · Views: 23
Probably the only real mistake you made was thinking you could reliability determine sex at such a young age.
And I mean if it's always been a little weird who can blame you for expecting female.

How old is it now?

My question is, what mistakes did I make and what physical tells did I miss when we thought it was a hen?

I do not think you made any mistakes. Some cockerels take longer than others to become obvious, and this one looks like it has a naturally small comb to make it harder. I can't decide if it is just barely showing male-specific saddle feathers (narrow pointy feathers that grow on the back and will later hang down on each side), or if it isn't even getting those yet.

The only mistake that you made would be trying to sex a bird who was too young. Appearance that can tell you that it is a cockerel, is the large legs, developing sickle feathers, and reddened facial features.

Probably the only real mistake you made was thinking you could reliability determine sex at such a young age.
Haha he was born with a tail and all the old wives' tales that suggest pullets.
How old is it now?

I do not think you made any mistakes. Some cockerels take longer than others to become obvious, and this one looks like it has a naturally small comb to make it harder. I can't decide if it is just barely showing male-specific saddle feathers (narrow pointy feathers that grow on the back and will later hang down on each side), or if it isn't even getting those yet.
They are 2.5 months old now and he's the only roo (of 5, now. Yikes!!!) That isn't obvious. His feathers are so smooth and uniform compared to most of the others which look like gangly teenagers. His body shape is almost identical to the black sex-link birds and those hens, which I know for certain are hens, have pointier shoulder feathers than he does!

So we named this bird Fancy Frankie at 2 weeks and it has always been a little weird. We've been pretty sure that it's a Frances for over a month. Well, for about a week its been fluffing up and chasing the other cockerells. The past two days it has started pecking me whenever i try to pet it (up until that point it was one of the sweetest birds in the clutch) and this morning it crowed in my face. Obviously it's either a Franklin or an honorable dinner guest.
I'm not sure you did miss any. Some breeds take longer than others to determine sex.

Back
Top Bottom