Is this a game x cochin? I have nothing hoping you can help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kizanne, Nov 8, 2012.

1. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    I got this guy last weekend from a lady who didn't help any with breeds. She says she thinks it is a cross between her bantam and her big girls LOL>

His mix is so pretty got me wondering to who his parents might be.

[​IMG]

Also I got more than one and this one is trying to convince me he's a girl but I'm sure he's a boy with those tail and neck feathers right? I told him to lay an egg.

2. RainyChicks

RainyChicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2012
    Yes- That's a Rooster for sure. I don't think Cochin is in the mix though because I don't see toe feathering. I think it is a OEGB golden duckwing Cross.

3. kizanne

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    His brother had feather all down the leg and on one toe.

Gold duckwing. thanks I'll look up that breed. I think he is pretty. flighty and noisey too. His brother though maybe dad had spurs 2 1/2 inches long. This one just has two bumps. So I guess they are different ages but same size.

4. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    Duckwing is a color, not a breed. He does appear to have some Old English Game Bantam (OEGB) in him from looking at his comb & body shape. Spurs can be an indicator of age or breed. OEGB roos tend to grow spurs pretty young where-as a more docile breed like cochin or silkie tends to grow spurs slowly.

If I had to guess on this boy I'd say he's probably an OEGB mixed with a red colored production bird such as a Red Star or Golden Comet.

5. kizanne

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    Thank you that is very helpful. I have some red production but I haven't seen an old english game bird that must be where the coloration is coming from.

I have a roo he's 8 months old but I'm new to roo's too.

6. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    He's a very pretty boy regardless of his mix & should produce very pretty babies. I love variety of colors in my layers. It makes the birds easier to tell apart & lets my kids give them each a name. When you have mixed birds breeding & hatching babies you never know what kind of color patterns you will get, but it makes for some very interesting & beautiful birds.

7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I agree, OEGB mixed with a production bird. Makes for a pretty mixed bag of genes. It'll be interesting to see the types of babies he throws.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by