Is This A Genetic Variation In Silkies?

Slick Chicken 101

In the Brooder
Nov 28, 2021
I have a group of 10 Silkies (assorted colors with 2 roos and 8 hens), I got them from a hachery (which I will not be doing business with again). They were sold to me as full-blooded Silkies (bearded and non-bearded), but I am starting to think 2 of them might be CROSS-BREEDS! I have a white roo with a BIG OL' STRAIGHT COMB and ORANGE EYES and a buff hen with the same story (smaller comb). I think they are supposed to have a walnut comb and black eyes right? Or is this just a rare-ish genetic variation that is totally normal for Silkies?

Single combs are recessive, & will occasionally pop up in silkies. Same with the off colored eyes.
Thanks! I kinda thought that about the comb, but not the eyes-your reply was very helpful. I also read that you like Ameraucana chickens-I do to. If you ask me there is no better foraging, predator smart, production, longevity breed out there. I do run Easter Eggers now, but years back my family had Ameraucanas, and one of those hens was one tough old bird. She quit production at around 7-8 years old, outlived the rest of the flock by a couple of years and sadly was killed by 4 raccoons (because if it was less, she probably would have killed them ;) ) this last summer. She was 11 years old, and had a knack for living with our ornery barn cats. She free-ranged year round during the last half of her life, and we stopped giving her feed when production quit. She did not starve (I made sure of this), and was quite well feed because she just ate the grain that the cattle and sheep spilled. It was the craziest sight, an old hen in charge of 10 cats, just like she had found a new "flock" to boss around.

Last edited:
That's why test breeding is always useful. I would steer clear of using that bird at all though since it's an unwanted gene and you know they have it
I was actually thinking about taking the two odd Silkies and maybe running them together to make straight combed Silkies, there is a strange pet market for them I hear.

Thanks! I kinda thought that about the comb, but not the eyes-your reply was very helpful. I also read that you like Ameraucana chickens-I do to. If you ask me there is no better foraging, predator smart, production, longevity breed out there. I do run Easter Eggers now, but years back my family had Ameraucanas, and one of those hens was one tough old bird. She quit production at around 7-8 years old, outlived the rest of the flock by a couple of years and sadly was killed by 4 raccoons (because if it was less, she probably would have killed them ;) ) this last summer. She was 11 years old, and had a knack for living with our ornery barn cats. She free-ranged year round during the last half of her life, and we stopped giving her feed when production quit. She did not starve (I made sure of this), and was quite well feed because she just ate the grain that the cattle and sheep spilled. It was the craziest sight, an old hen in charge of 10 cats, just like she had found a new "flock" to boss around.
You're welcome. I breed silkies, & other breeds, & mixes.

I would like to get Ameraucanas sometime, but I'm fine With Easter Eggers. Easter Eggers came first😉.

It just means that somewhere down the line a nonsilkie was in the genepool. Could have been from 3 years ago or 60 years ago.
Traditional Chinese Silkies actually had mixed comb Varieties: Single, Walnut, Rose, Pea, & Mixed combs.

You're welcome. I breed silkies, & other breeds, & mixes.

I would like to get Ameraucanas sometime, but I'm fine With Easter Eggers. Easter Eggers came first😉.
I can say that Easter Eggers are probably a better route to go down-if you are looking for production purposes. They run about 3-6 dollars for chicks, compared to the $20+ you can spend on Ameraucanas. Easter Eggers are more cross-breed then Ameraucanas so they tend to be hardier. There are also A LOT of Ameraucana counterfeits out there.

Back
Top Bottom