Is This A Genetic Variation In Silkies?

I have a buff Silkie with a single comb but we don’t breed her because of that reason but she is a cute little hen that’s for sure just don’t want to water down the breeds bloodline with her offspring and feel it is up to breeders tokeep the breed to standard and if not it won’t be long till we have single comb Silkies running around every backyard in the future I breed pure blck and pure white Silkie bearded and non-bearded lines that all have jet blck skin and eyes with mulberry walnut combs 5 toes with blue turquoise ears etc. and try and keep to standard as much as we can by selectively breeding for APA standard characteristics

I’ll link a site that references the APA standard for any one that is interested in them and I personally feel that every breeder calling there Silkie pure breeds should make sure they keep to the APA standards /program

https://www.browneggblueegg.com/Standard.html

I included pictures of our white Silkie at lest the ones that are still growing out and not in the coops or breeding pens

Attachments

• 6BE1C9E0-5957-42C7-BB5D-A66BA1206813.jpeg
    6BE1C9E0-5957-42C7-BB5D-A66BA1206813.jpeg
    880.4 KB · Views: 2
  • D6CCA821-4BD2-4E24-B46E-8C1F1C9B7C2E.jpeg
    D6CCA821-4BD2-4E24-B46E-8C1F1C9B7C2E.jpeg
    346.6 KB · Views: 3
  • A36036A1-7532-4809-8BC6-D6E3894B842C.jpeg
    A36036A1-7532-4809-8BC6-D6E3894B842C.jpeg
    329.7 KB · Views: 2
I have a buff Silkie with a single comb but we don’t breed her because of that reason but she is a cute little hen that’s for sure just don’t want to water down the breeds bloodline with her offspring and feel it is up to breeders tokeep the breed to standard and if not it won’t be long till we have single comb Silkies running around every backyard in the future I breed pure blck and pure white Silkie bearded and non-bearded lines that all have jet blck skin and eyes with mulberry walnut combs 5 toes with blue turquoise ears etc. and try and keep to standard as much as we can by selectively breeding for APA standard characteristics

I’ll link a site that references the APA standard for any one that is interested in them and I personally feel that every breeder calling there Silkie pure breeds should make sure they keep to the APA standards /program

https://www.browneggblueegg.com/Standard.html

I included pictures of our white Silkie at lest the ones that are still growing out and not in the coops or breeding pens
I have the Book of SOP, so I'm all set.

I bred these two ladies.
20201019_140905.jpg
Just not of standard Color. Blue partridge, with Moore Head.

I have a group of 10 Silkies (assorted colors with 2 roos and 8 hens), I got them from a hachery (which I will not be doing business with again). They were sold to me as full-blooded Silkies (bearded and non-bearded), but I am starting to think 2 of them might be CROSS-BREEDS! I have a white roo with a BIG OL' STRAIGHT COMB and ORANGE EYES and a buff hen with the same story (smaller comb). I think they are supposed to have a walnut comb and black eyes right? Or is this just a rare-ish genetic variation that is totally normal for Silkies?
I just put my two cents in hope that helps a lil but that’s just my opinion not law if you like the single comb then breed for it!!

If you have time check out my guessing game name that breed post and give your opinion on the bird I posted would love to see your guess

I just put my two cents in hope that helps a lil but that’s just my opinion not law if you like the single comb then breed for it!!

If you have time check out my guessing game name that breed post and give your opinion on the bird I posted would love to see your guess
I know. Just thought I'd share.

The game sounds interesting.

I bred these two ladies.View attachment 2915667Just not of standard Color. Blue partridge, with Moore Head.I have the Book of SOP, so I'm all set.
I bred these two ladies.View attachment 2915667Just not of standard Color. Blue partridge, with Moore Head.

I bred these two ladies.View attachment 2915667Just not of standard Color. Blue partridge, with Moore Head.
you have some nice looking birds there love how full there crest are and there body structure how much do they weigh

What color were there parents?

You have some really nice looking birds there

you have some nice birds there I like there

you have some nice looking birds there love how full there crest are and there body structure how much do they weigh

What color were there parents?
Father, Blue Partridge of Show Stock, & mother of LF Pet Quality.
20210104_192738.jpg

20210920_150523.jpg

My Show stock Roosters are just a little over 2lbs.

Here's the girl's weights.

#1.
20210108_144759.jpg
20210108_144915.jpg

#2.
20210108_145309.jpg
20210108_145321.jpg

We call these TSC Silkies. I've had a few. Legs aren't as fluffy either, and some are missing an extra back toe on one foot or both.

Yes, Really Big Silkies.

Fighting Silkies is very common. Most of the time it doesn't cause damage/draw blood. I have 2 boys that have been fighting for a straight year off, & on, & the only thing they succeed in is making one side of their Neck's bald.

My First Silkie fight, someone was almost killed, & had to be doctored back to health. He was all bloodied, & cut up. These two were buddies for about a year. Before they fought.

Second Silkie Fight, my two project Giant Silkie Boys tried to kill each other one day. They just wouldn't stop fighting. They'd both be exhausted, but still went at it. Something I've never seen before. Usually there's a winner, & the loser runs, & cowers.
They had to be separated.
I am kinda shocked-they got along so well!

Quail are really bad- I had one peck the back of another's head till the skull showed! It happened overnight, so I did not know till the morning. The poor little quail survived though! And it made a full recovery!

I am kinda shocked-they got along so well!

Quail are really bad- I had one peck the back of another's head till the skull showed! It happened overnight, so I did not know till the morning. The poor little quail survived though! And it made a full recovery!
I've had a RIR mix hen survive a hole in her head when she was a youngster. Thinking she must've gotten smacked by a spur during a rooster tussle. That was a few years ago though.

Back
Top Bottom