Is this a good way to process?

The way that he pulls down the skin hard (video) towards the end looks to me like he yanked out the vent and oil gland at that point. Ya think?
idunno.gif

Quote:
Dont be too impressed, without anything in my pic for size reference . . .
The birds are smaller than my fist.

I bought 2 cornish game hens to cook with these 2 quail tonight, just in case anybody is left wanting more.
I guess I couldve processed 2 more quails, but as this is a trial run I didnt want to waste any in case my girl dont like it.

Imma cook them all up tonight for a nice romantic dinner for 2, stuffed with a wild rice recipe from Holachicka, along with red potatoes and carrots, and big beautiful artichokes.

I gotta give my GF credit, she is being very adventurous for me, as I know she really doesnt want to eat these quails that she has helped me raise . . .

I know Im gonna like it, I like anything but mushrooms . . .

Sooo... The recipe I sent you was for herb rice, but I'm sure you could use it for wild rice as well.... BUT I'm waiting to hear how your dinner turned out!!!! How were the quail and what did the lady think??
big_smile.png

Quote:
Dont be too impressed, without anything in my pic for size reference . . .
The birds are smaller than my fist.

I bought 2 cornish game hens to cook with these 2 quail tonight, just in case anybody is left wanting more.
I guess I couldve processed 2 more quails, but as this is a trial run I didnt want to waste any in case my girl dont like it.

Imma cook them all up tonight for a nice romantic dinner for 2, stuffed with a wild rice recipe from Holachicka, along with red potatoes and carrots, and big beautiful artichokes.

I gotta give my GF credit, she is being very adventurous for me, as I know she really doesnt want to eat these quails that she has helped me raise . . .

I know Im gonna like it, I like anything but mushrooms . . .

Sooo... The recipe I sent you was for herb rice, but I'm sure you could use it for wild rice as well.... BUT I'm waiting to hear how your dinner turned out!!!! How were the quail and what did the lady think??
big_smile.png

Okay holachick, where's this rice recipe?!? I love rice especially wild rice! Yummmmmmmmmmmm!!

Laurie

Sure I'll share! but remember, it's for white rice, but I'm sure you could adjust it for wild!

2 cups water
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon chicken or vegetable bouillon granules
1 cup uncooked long grain rice
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon dried minced onion
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme

Just put it all in a pot with a lid and cook for normal rice, or try it with wild rice mixed in...
big_smile.png

Can you skin the wings too? I plucked our first quail and the wings have two or three nice bites of meat on em. Hate to waste good meat, ya know
wink.png
Am DEFF. going to give cutting the backbone out a try, as well as skinning a few for a taste comparison. Dont mind the time it takes to pluck if its better tasting but if not, dang, wouldnt mind getting my time down to 75 seconds!

That rice looks good, might give it a try when the teenagers are ready, its only four more weeks and am drooling already!

when i processed mine i just killed them, took off the heads, wings and feet, skinned them, pulled off the breast, and snipped off the legs, thats pretty much all the edible meat on the bird and it was alot easier than trying to gut them. My only problem was trying to kill them, i tried slitting the throat the way you would a chickn, but that didn't work so great, so then i had to take off the head with scissors but i didn't feel very comfortable doing that. Next time i think i'll just use a chopping block and a cleaver or sharp hatchet.

Quote:
Hold quail firmly (yet gently) with a body grip. WHAP the back of its head off a counter edge (or worktop edge or table edge ect.) The bird will stiffen up and you can snip the head off WITHOUT it struggling about.

I read about the bop and chop on here and it WORKS!!!

That looks fast & easy! I showed the video to my 8 year old daughter and she said that's easy! Gotta love farm kids
wink.png
I have 20 juvenile Jumbo Browns (4-5 weeks old) outside. I sold 50 more and held these back. I have over 100 eggs due next week too. I see LOTS of quail on the table this winter.
big_smile.png

Oh shoot!
I forgot!
Sorry Chicka!

The meal turned out great, the quail were cooked to perfection, stuffed with your rice(works great for wildrice), and surrouned by red potatoes and carrots, all baked in a covered glass dish with 1/2 a heinkekin beer poured into the bottom.(I cooked a "cornish game hen" also, stuffed, for my big appetite)

Served a nice big artichoke on each plate also.

My girl was a trooper, as I know she was really hesitant to eat the quails(in her head), but thanked me for making her as she now loves it and looks forward to the next time.
The way she now eyeballs my chukar has me a bit nervous . . .
wink.png

This is her plate(note the 1/2 artichoke and lack of heaping piles of food, such as on my plate . . .)
From a cellphone, so sorry its washed out. . .
I wish Ida took a pic while it was all still in the cooking dish, it was beautiful!
cookeddinner.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom