Is this a gosling or a duckling?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RavenStorm, Aug 27, 2008.

1. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    Some of you have been following that I got a rescue baby from the feed store on Monday that was found inside a post office mailing room. I'm sure this thing was shipped from a hatchery as there is no way it could be wild; it looks to be in too good of a shape and it has imprinted on people. The feed store told my DB that is was a female gosling, but I know nothing about waterfowl and wanted some people who obess over poultry to give me their opinion. I really just want to know if it is a duck or a goose above all (since that effects it's diet needs), but if you have an inkling of the gender and/or the breed I wold love to know that as well.

Details: Blackish-dark brown feet and bill. The underside of the bill is spotted with pink/flesh colored blotches. Amber colored eyes. Down is solid-color light brown with not a touch of any other color. It loves to eat everything it sees: weeds, chick starter mash, bugs, my toes, basically any thing that moves or looks different from the floor.

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    A duck.

3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    MissPrissy is probably right. [​IMG] it's so cute too!

4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    That looks like my Khaki Campbell ducklings.

5. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Quote:I agree [​IMG]

6. RavenStorm

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    Quote:Thank you! After lurking on this site for months I have come to really value your opinion so thanks for weighing in. No I don't have worry about it eating too much protein as she really loves eating the tomato worms back here.

We were really hoping for goose meat for the holidays; but hey we are a Chinese-culture household so we really know what to do with a duck as well!

7. RavenStorm

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    Quote:I know, I'm going to have to stop looking at it because I keep going "aawwww!" I'll never be able to eat it if I keep that up [​IMG]

8. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Quote:I know, I'm going to have to stop looking at it because I keep going "aawwww!" I'll never be able to eat it if I keep that up [​IMG]

If it's a Cambell you don't want to eat it. They lay really well!

9. Ms. Lewis Rich

Ms. Lewis Rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    I have been reading each post and thinking what a lucky lil duckling to be rescued and loved and when you said you were going to eat in over the holidays I almost fell out of my chair, and still laughing.

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Duck eggs are the best for baking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by