Is this a healthy scab? Bumblefoot infection

darlingdarla

Songster
Oct 28, 2018
Laurel, Maryland
So about a week and a half ago, right after I got home from vacation I found a giant infection in my hens foot. I removed it but most of her foot is taken up by scab now.
I don't think it still looks infected, but she is still limping and like I said, it's been over a week since I removed the plug.
I have been changing her bandage regularly and treating it with triple antibiotic ointment without pain relief.
20190816_184222.jpg

When you removed the scab was there pus underneath? That's quite a large area, I would give her daily soaks in either an epsom salts bath or diluted Chlorhexidine. Dry well, apply triple antibiotic ointment and re-wrap.

When you removed the scab was there pus underneath? That's quite a large area, I would give her daily soaks in either an epsom salts bath or diluted Chlorhexidine. Dry well, apply triple antibiotic ointment and re-wrap.
It was a huge infection, there was little pus but a large waxy plug underneath the black scab. I wish I'd gotten a picture of the original scab, I've dealt with bumble foot before but never an infection of this size.
This hen is the girl discussed in this thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/two-month-long-respiratory-illness-need-advice.1299669/
She is still having trouble breathing, hasn't gotten better or worse but I'm still keeping handling to a minimum so I'd rather not soak her daily.

It was a huge infection, there was little pus but a large waxy plug underneath the black scab. I wish I'd gotten a picture of the original scab, I've dealt with bumble foot before but never an infection of this size.
This hen is the girl discussed in this thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/two-month-long-respiratory-illness-need-advice.1299669/
She is still having trouble breathing, hasn't gotten better or worse but I'm still keeping handling to a minimum so I'd rather not soak her daily.
Does her abdomen feel bloated or fluid filled?
I glanced back at the other thread, she is still not laying eggs? I would take a guess that the trouble breathing may have something to do with a reproductive disorder but it's hard to know. If there's fluid in the abdomen, sometimes that can be drained to make them more comfortable.

Does her abdomen feel bloated or fluid filled?
I glanced back at the other thread, she is still not laying eggs? I would take a guess that the trouble breathing may have something to do with a reproductive disorder but it's hard to know. If there's fluid in the abdomen, sometimes that can be drained to make them more comfortable.
No abdominal fluid, I believe it is a reproductive issue, no eggs (got one two months ago). I pretty much understand her condition, the thing I really need to figure out is the scab.
I'm leaving town this Saturday for two weeks, I have a pet sitter but she can't change the bandage, so I don't super know what to do. I've left scabs wrapped while I'm away before, but this was such a big infection I don't know if that would work.

No abdominal fluid, I believe it is a reproductive issue, no eggs (got one two months ago). I pretty much understand her condition, the thing I really need to figure out is the scab.
I'm leaving town this Saturday for two weeks, I have a pet sitter but she can't change the bandage, so I don't super know what to do. I've left scabs wrapped while I'm away before, but this was such a big infection I don't know if that would work.
I would be worried about leaving that wrapped while away and no one checking on it daily.

Back
Top Bottom