Is this a hen mounting my hens? or is it a roo?

Sushai

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 12, 2010
As the subject says...is this a hen mounting my hens or is it a roo?

Bit of background info...over the weekend my husband and I went out and bought ourselves
two hens to add to our small flock. Well the previous owner told us that they were both hens.
3 days later in the early hours of the morning, when out feeding my little flock, I catch this 'hen'
mounting my other hen?!?! Now this 'hen' hasnt crowed, it has attempted to, as I witnessed this
afternoon, but no sound comes out...yet another puzzling question.
Now since, catching this 'hen' in the act, I have seen it doing it a few times with the other hens, but with
one in particular. This 'hen' is taller and skinnier than all my other hens. Its wattles and comb is larger than the
rest and its legs are much thicker.

Now the question, roo or hen?

Also, does anyone know the breed?

Here are some piccies for you all to suss out...(they're a bit blurred, but its the best I could do as it moves too much
and I've taken them with my cell phone)

Attempting a soundless crow
67694_img00080.jpg

The clearest pic of the lot
67694_img00105.jpg

67694_img00092.jpg

67694_img00090.jpg

I'm sorry I can't be of much help telling if it's a hen or roo because I'm only familiar with the Thai game birds. From your description though, I would say it's a rooster. My huge Thai fighting cock does crow, but quite often he just goes through the motion and no sound comes out. Unfortunately that doesn't happen in the early morning though. Not that I object to crowing at all, because in fact, I like the sounds of nature - pure music if you ask me. Anyway, I just thought I should let you know about the silent crowing. If you have no other roosters around, you could always check an egg or two for fertility. Also, are you sure it's actually trying to do the deed, rather than just being the dominant hen?

Sure others will post soon as well
smile.png

I've had 3 roos before this one, and this one does the same as those
when it comes to mounting. I guess im just stumped at its behaviour
as I was told it was a hen.

Also, the coop in which this 'hen' was it was all roos in there, except 3 hens
1 which is this one. Maybe the previous owner got it wrong, or this 'hen'
is mimicking those other roos behaviours..dont know if they do that though

Mixed breed rooster.
hmm.png
Sorry. He's going to be handsome in a few more months!
smile.png

Its a roo, ive just had the same problem we thought we had purchased 3 pullets 2 weeks ago and i had my thoughts 1 was a roo, but i kept getting mixed comments as to he or she, so today whilst hanging the washing out i found the 1 in my suspicions mounting one of my other girls, i took him back to where we got "her" from and he confirmed she was infact a he, luckly for us he allowed us to swap him for a she as we aren't allowed roo's in the area we live.

Thanks for your replies everyone.
I've been wanting a roo for a while, so Im glad
we got him unexpectedly.
Im not allowed to have a roo in this area but will keep
him until they say he has to go.
Hope to get some chickies from him.

I love baby chicks, they're adorable, it's unfortunate that
they grow up so fast
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom