Is this a Lavender Ameraucana?

This article may help.
Difference between Easter Eggers and Ameraucanas! With Review. (Optional)

Difference between Easter Eggers and Ameraucanas! With Review. (Optional)

Intro = = = = = = = = = = = 🐔❤️🐔❤️🐔❤️🐔❤️🐔❤️🐔 @TheOddOneOut is the only other person who I have seen touch on this subject. A link to her thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...hink-you-have-an-ameraucana-do-check.1421663/ She goes through all the basics. I wanted to go a bit...

But to answer your question, it does look like a pure blue/lavender Ameraucana to me.
Let’s get the Ameraucana queen here to help you with a definite answer though! ;)
@EmmaRainboe
Great article - thank you!!

There's no way of knowing if it is a "pure" Ameraucana as so many are actually Easter Eggers. Technically, lavender is not currently one of the accepted colors by the Ameraucana standards, so any bird that doesn't meet those standards is considered an Easter Egger.

He does have muffs, but many Ameraucana hybrids have muffs (at least 1st generation). He also has grey legs (important) and a pea comb (important) for Ameraucana standards.

However, there are many lavender Ameraucana projects that I am sure in time will be accepted into the standard.

Your question was if it is lavender. He has some darkening on the wing bows (as lavender is supposed to be "self blue" or same blue throughout), but some color change is normal for roosters on bows. However, not being a lavender expert, I would call him "lavender" as he certainly is too light to be blue and is not splash.

He appears to be the product of an Ameraucana lavender project. You should be aware that he will not breed lavender chicks. Lavender is a recessive trait, so it takes 2 lavender parents to produce lavender chicks. Lavender will be carried forward as a recessive gene in his progeny, but none of the 1st generation will be lavender unless you breed him to a lavender hen.

Pretty boy.

LofMc
Thank you @Lady of McCamley !

Back
Top Bottom