Is this a Lynx?

my chickens are in a fenced in run but the top is not secure as it's quite a long run. I am going to have to come up with a solution soon. We've been not letting out the hens from their coop until later in the morning (~8:30am) and usually someone is here in the early evening (~6pm) but today for some reason everyone in the household didn't get back until later and I had just pulled into the driveway, got out to check the mail and then it struck.

Coyote came to visit. Bobcats, racoons and coyotes. Any other animal I need to worry about? What kind of damage do opossums do as I've seen a few of those too.

You've got mountain lions for sure. Wild boar populations were starting to increase in Sonoma county, just north of you a few years ago. No idea if they are a problem further south. You might also get the occasional black bear, depending on how close to state parks you are. You've also got fox. California predators are highly adaptable creatures, and are incredibly good at going undetected in urban environments.
And then there are the aerial predators like Peregrine Falcons, Red tailed hawks, and several others.

Even the barking from dogs , especially ones like coonhound is enough to keep predators away. A big black and tan hound came to my house a few years ago and he's got a thunderous bay. Great nose too, nothing gets by him.

Back
Top Bottom