Is this a mallard or a mandarin?

muus

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 16, 2013
Hi
I have a question abou what specie of duckling is this guy. I have mallards and mandarins.
At first I thought was a mallard but it haves a different pattern and a curious behavour, the same as the mandarins. It wants to jump everytime to follow me, don't stop calling(the other two that I'm sure are mallards don't jump and they are very quiet.
It's imposible to be an hybrid because I read that mandys have an extra cromosome that make imposible any hybrid.
I'll post now a photo.
Thanks

The photo of the unknown:

Last edited:
The 3 ducklings, I see big diferences.

I appreciate any help
Thanks

The 3 ducklings, I see big diferences.

I appreciate any help
Thanks
I am not familiar with mandarins but to me it looks like you have 2 rouens and 1 mallard. Rouens have 2 facial stripes and mallards have 1.

ETA: Okay I feel stupid and googled mandarins... the middle one does look like a mandarin.

Last edited:
I am not familiar with mandarins but to me it looks like you have 2 rouens and 1 mallard.  Rouens have 2 facial stripes and mallards have 1.  

ETA:  Okay I feel stupid and googled mandarins... the middle one does look like a mandarin.

Jajaja don't worry, the important is that you tried to help me. Thank you.
The two ones you said are rouens, they are mallards for sure. My mallards have the two strips very black and very big. And I don't have rouens right now, in two weeksare hatching my first ones in the incubator.
The doubt is only for the unknown duckling.

Thank you all.
Define definitely is a mallard, I had one like this few weeks ago.

Quote: Wrong , the stripes on the face is a terrible misconception it does not matter how many stripes are on the face, this does not determine the breed. Whoever came up with this rule was terribly misguided and ignorant, sadly he spread his misconception to the world and now people think that the striped on the face determine the breed.

middle looks mandarin and the ones in the front and back look mallard

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom